Why would God need worship?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:37 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Religious Debate

• God doesn't NEED anything. It's asked of us so that we feel more connected to him. Praising him no matter what is going on in your life....
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:41 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I don't believe He does ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:38 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• God doesn't NEED anything from us, but He WANTS us to worship him. There's a big difference.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:44 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Anonymous, one last thing (at least for tonight), don't feel that your only choice is either being a Christian or an atheist. Perhaps if you give it some consideration, you might find that something like Buddhism to be a much better fit for you.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 11:19 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Oh, how I wish I could articulate what I mean - about the sages and all that, lol.

--

Like chapter 65 of the Tao Te Ching? I think that's a good example of that idea. :-)

"The ancient masters didn't try to educate the people, but kindly taught them to not-know.

When they think that they know the answers, people are difficult to guide.
    When they know that they don't know, people can find their own way."
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:27 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I don't believe in an anthropomorphic God at all--so God can't WANT anything from my POV. To me God is impersonal, like forces of Nature, the laws of the Universe, or the Tao. The laws of physics aren't very personal, but they're pretty awe inspiring IMO.

IF I did believe in such a supernatural being with human qualities and feelings, I think he/she would want us to treat each other with loving-kindness and compassion, love our friends and enemies and all that (which I try to do anyway). I would think that if we LOVE one another, then we love God.

Since I believe we are all part of 'God' or the Universe, then if we love one another and treat each other with compassion, then we recognize ourselves in others and recognize our interconnectedness in the Universe.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 6:27 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• There are different ways to understand the text. Not all of us believe that the Bible is meant to be read literally, or is the absolute, literal Word of God.

--

I agree. I read most of it as allegory. I don't think most of it was meant to be literal or historical record. Some Christians view it this way, and some don't. Personally, I also tend to put my emphasis on or focus more Jesus' words than on Paul's words or some of the OT. That's my preference and evaluation of it, but there are many ways to interpret it, I'm sure. Jesus' message of love and compassion, loving God and loving our neighbors and enemies, being charitable, etc. These are the the greatest messages I take from reading it. As a Buddhist, I approach all sacred texts with the idea that we should not believe anything simply because it is written or tradition, but only when it stands up to reason and is good for all.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:39 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• "ughhh...Why didn't God just make the choice to belive in him cristal clear?"

I think He wants to give us room to make that choice, to grow and to find ourselves and our way. Then again, I'm not a Christian who believes that He punishes us for getting it "wrong", since I don't believe there really is a "wrong". I believe we each have to find our own paths and way of understanding.

And Eek, the inconsistency here, though, is that YOU'RE trying to claim that we SHOULD or MUST see Him that way, if we really were to read or understand the text. I'm not trying to say anyone HAS to believe as I do, merely that I'm not wrong for not seeing it the way you do. Believe as you want, I know many people who see God that way - I just know that that's not the only way to see Him, and understand the Bible completely differently, so I won't allow you to define my faith for me or try to make it sound like I'm wrong because I disagree with you
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:44 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• OP, if you're really truly seeking, I would recommend you read and discuss as much as you can. Only YOU can decide what makes the most sense to you, what YOU really believe about things. I would recommend Brian McLaren and Karen Armstrong (there are others I can't remember, lol), they do a really great job of showing different sides of faith. But, no matter how much you read or discuss, you have to decide for yourself what sounds right for YOU. Its just that through discussion and reading/contemplating what others have said or have to say about things, you further work out how you feel about them. You take time to think for yourself how YOU feel about what is being talked about, and that's what's important - not what someone tells you to believe or the "answer" is, because honestly their answer may not be YOUR answer... :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:48 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Haha, you've got me thinking now - it just popped in my head - I think this is the reason why a most of the Eastern Sages (at least as far as I'm aware) don't give their students the answers, they push them to find their own answers. Its not about someone telling you their truth, its about you finding your own, your personal connection/understanding/relationship with the Divine and the world around you. Its not something you can get from someone else or find "out there", its something within you. If that makes any sense...

Oh, how I wish I could articulate what I mean - about the sages and all that, lol. I hope you understand what I'm getting at, and if not, I hope someone comes along and clarifies, because I just can't think of the words to explain, lol! :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:02 PM on Mar. 31, 2011