How do u get a 3 year old potty trained that doesn't want to?

smileynikki712

Asked by smileynikki712 at 4:43 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Just get rid of the pull-ups and move to underwear. Take him shopping, make a big deal about letting him pick the big boy underwear, and "throw away" the pull-ups. We placed ours in a grocery bag to "throw-away" so that I still had some for shopping trips, but for all intensive purposes my son had thought they were tossed. I kept them up high and we only wore them over the underwear in public. Give your LO a good 2 weeks in straight underwear. If he's still absolutely refusing to even consider the potty back off completely, wait a month or so and try again. If he sparks an interest, even if there's 5 accidents a day, keep at it. Usually children are more willing to use a potty when in underwear then pull-ups because the pull-up feels too much like a diaper, and they're use to it. Wet/dirty underwear is just gross feeling to everyone and typically they take in interest in making sure that feeling doesn't return. GL
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 11:36 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I've never had experience with this per say. I have potty trained a lot of kids when I worked at daycare center, and helped with my nephew. a few steps I would follow would be;
    not forcing or turning it into a fight because you dont want it to become a negative thing
    lots of rewards maybe a sticker for trying, and an m&m if they go on the potty
    read books about it - there are so many
    put your son/daughter in their underwear - get rid of all diapers (when they have an accident they will learn that they dont like being wet. also, make them change themselve/clean it up to the best of their ability. a 3 year old should be able to take off their pants and under wear and pull up new ones and wipe up any pee off the floor.)
    ask them if they need to go every 30 minutes and take them once an hour to try. - set timers

good luck!!!
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 4:46 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Don't turn it into a battle, if they're not ready they're not ready you won't win. It is physically impossible to force a child to pee, so if you push you'll get stuck in a battle of wits, and will more then likely loose. Keep things positive, lots of reinforcements (i'm a huge fan of sticker charts) no punishment until the child has the concept well established. I'm not big on making them clean up accidents, it's a personal choice. I view that as punishment and I don't feel any child should have to clean up pee or poop when they're just learning. If your child is a boy try letting him "aim" at cheerios or some other flushable object, they typically find this funny. Place in underwear at all times, if going into public put a pull up over the underwear, so if an accident occurs the child still feels the icky wetness, but there's no embarrassment of wearing soaked pants and people staring; the pull up will absorb the moisture.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 7:27 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Call me commercial mom but I absorbed my kid with videos and books all revolving around potty training after making progress and hitting a real stumbling block. He had a few set backs to due moving and then too much pressure from Dad so I let it go for a few days and then immersed him in a world of potty and after a week of this and watching his friends using the potty at school he decided he was in and it was not a problem since.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 3:20 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Thanks for all the great tips. But my biggest problem is that he's not interrested in it at all. It;s like all out war to even try to set him on the potty. We have watched videos, read books.I'm just really confused at where to start with such a stubborn boy. He even gives me a very hard time to change a pull up
    smileynikki712

Comment by smileynikki712 (original poster) at 7:22 PM on Apr. 1, 2011