Has anyone had a tubal ligation or an IUD?

These are the 2 forms of birth control I am considering and I was wondering if any of you had done this and if you had any side effects?

aNtnAtJaY

Asked by aNtnAtJaY at 7:04 PM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I have a tubal ligation.No side affects. Had it done 22 years ago.

Answer by louise2 at 7:07 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• i have an iud the mirena to be exact just had it put in like two weeks sgo its comfy compared to what i thought it would be but i have had the spotting they warn you about.
    lovencasper5307

Answer by lovencasper5307 at 7:13 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I don't know how old you are but if you are young I'd suggest getting an IUD. I have one and it's awesome. I haven't had any problems like I do with other forms of birth control. You can't take back a tubal. My mom never wants anymore kids but she said she wouldn't get a tubal just incase me or my sisters have problems having kids and she could be a surrogate or something...so think out side the box when and if you consider getting a tubal. You might not want kids but my mom had a good point. Also I know a 23 y/o with 4 kids and a tubal and now she's divorced. Maybe her new husband if she ever gets one will want a child of his own.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 7:14 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• well if she just gets her tubes tied thats reversible. but if she has them burned or cut then its not reversible. i had the mirena and hated it. i had spotting the whole time it was in and had cramps pretty much the whole time too. it also gave me some really bad mood swings. but there is the paraguard iud that doesn't have any hormones in it.
    sterlids

Answer by sterlids at 7:20 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• The IUD was VERY painful for me.. I had the worst pains for 6 months until finally they took it out...
    rainfalls

Answer by rainfalls at 7:40 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I had the Mirena in for just over two years. I had an okay experience with it, no horrible cramps or ongoing bleeding, but the few months preceding me getting it removed, I was just constantly tired, fog-headed, and was taking Tylenol several times a week for headaches. Additionally, my period pretty much disappeared shortly after getting the Mirena, but then the last few months it started coming back. I know I had a couple super stressful moments, but the periods weren't irregular like you'd expect with something purely stress related.
    So while I don't think it's bad, just be aware that it is still a type of birth control that isn't exclusively physical. Even with the copper IUD, there is little telling how your body will respond until it's in. This also applies to tubal ligation and the recently introduced alternative, the Essure. Though those are distinctly more permanent, so think carefully.
    redlily08

Answer by redlily08 at 7:45 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• ive had the non hormone releasing iud for almost 18 months. i had cramping the first day, and no symptoms since, i do have long heavy periods(which boyfriend hates, but he wont get a vasectamy)so thats the downfall, but hey im not pregnant.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 8:06 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I have IUD. I love it. It was uncomfortable while it was being inserted and I had some menstrual cramping the first couple days, but otherwise, it doesn't bother me one bit. Oh and it makes my periods lighter! BONUS!
    Groovyflor

Answer by Groovyflor at 8:17 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I had a tubal ligation done about 10 years ago and have had pain and hormonal difficulties ever since. I would love to get it reversed but insurance may not cover it-
    It's up to you, but to do it over I wouldn't have done it.

LadyAronna

Answer by LadyAronna at 5:53 PM on Feb. 27, 2009