Culinary Arts?

Has anyone gone to a technical college or any college and taken the culinary arts program? If so what degree(certificate, associate,bachelors....)? how competitive was the program? What admission requirements did you have to do(essay, work experience...)? Did you complete it? Do you use the degree for your employment?

I applied at a technical college for their culinary arts program and want to know how anyone else who went into it faired out. Any and all information would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

RainbowMom132

Asked by RainbowMom132 at 5:05 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in

• I will say this (and I'm sure people will disagree so don't hate) a very good friend of mine is in restaurant biz - he said it's just a shame all of these kids coming out of culinary school expecting that they are going to make great money - it is a rip off and a waste unless you are really going to THE Cordon Bleu to study or one of the very serious expensive programs. All these little technical schools and faux cordon bleu academys take your money and you'll make the same amount as someone who just works their way up in a restaurant. That is straight from the mouth of someone in the biz for thirty some years. Save your money, get a job in a kitchen or a hotel and work your way up.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 5:10 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I went to Chicago's art institute. Got the Chef certification, and that was back in 1984 It's a bachelors degree. It was very competitive, there were no special things I had to do except pay, provide my own knifes and pay fee's. I dont know how it is now. I did use it for my job per say. I bought a couple of sit down restaurants and pizza places. We started with over 60 of us. By the time it was all said and done over half of them quit because the instructor was like that Ass on TV who helps out struggling places. Ramsey I think his name is. It was not an easy course then. I can only imagine how it is today or if you go to a Cordon Blue school.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:13 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• My nephew has a bachelor's degree from the C.I.A.
    He worked in a small, trendy restaurant for a while; hated being trapped in a teeny, hot kitchen. He went back to school, for a degree in political science, and is starting law school in August.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:24 AM on Apr. 2, 2011