Would you be upset if...

Your mom took your daughter on a fun trip that you've been wanting to do with her for a while but never got around to doing it? And she did it without you?

I've been wanting to take my daughter to the Children's Museum for a long time, but never had the time or the money to do it. And I was planning on doing it during the summer, but my mom decides to up and take her today without me. Would you be upset? I'm glad they're having fun together, but that was just something special I wanted to do with my DD.

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 5:21 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Relationships

• I'd probably be upset but I wouldn't mention it. I wouldn't want my mom to feel bad for taking my daughter to do something fun. Also, think of how excited your daughter will be to tell you about it and to show you around when you take her.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 6:32 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• If it was me, and that was my mom, I know her very well- I would know she was doing it because it was something I thought my daughter would enjoy and she was just trying to do something nice. She would never try to ruin something like that intentionally.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 5:24 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I'm sure you'll have plenty of opportunities to take her to the museum and other places. I wouldn't sweat it....
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:22 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I see what you're saying. My mom did something similar w/my daughter....bought her her 1st Halloween costume, 1st Christmas dress. I know what you mean. I was a little upset at first but knew that my daughter really wouldn't care or remember and it saved me money.
    Previous poster is right though, there will be other times for you guys to have special fun days together. It sucks that your mom did it but look at it as your daughter is getting to experience it.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 5:25 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• i would of been real mad i love doing things with my grandkids but i always make sure its ok first
    cshahan

Answer by cshahan at 5:25 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I would def be upset at her and talk to her about it. but if your daughter had a good time..then I would def wouldn't take it so personal. Maybe she didnt realize how much it ment to you to take your daughter.
    annabelle092810

Answer by annabelle092810 at 5:26 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I don't agree it's not her place to take her grandchild to a museum, however, I do think if she KNEW you were excited to take her yourself, she could have opted for some other outing. I'd feel slighted too.

My ex-husband has done this to me twice now. I already told him he's not taking our son to see Hop. My son said I couldn't go to see Rango with him, 'cause Daddy takes him to movies. Oh really?! I'm not allowed to, but if you want to go to the cinema pub and have food and a movie, Daddy doesn't take you THERE - I do!

I was kinda PO'd at that but I just made it known that no only Daddy takes him to movies. Just cause my ex can't use his imagination and think of other things to do with their time together, no reason I can't do movies too.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 5:28 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• It wouldn't bother me. I see my mom as a "second mom" to my kids, and I sooooo appreciate everything special she does for them. I don't always have the time or the will to do everything I want to, so I am grateful that my mom picks up some of that slack.

I know we all see these things differently . . . I just keep in mind that my mom won't always be around, and I want my kids to get as much of her right now as they can. One day, the memories are all that they will have . . . . and if they don't have those, my mom will die in the eyes of my future grandchildren.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:32 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I would be pissed its not her place to do that
    april_f

Answer by april_f at 5:23 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• it would upset me and I might mention it to my mom just to get if off my chest. id probably just say I'm kind of disappointed i didnt get to go. depends though. did she know you wanted to take her as a special thing? because if she knew and still did it then i would be more upset than if she didnt know, ya know?
    But you can always think of another special thing to do, and then let your mom know that one is off limits! our childrens museum here has like day classes that change so maybe you can find one and take her to that special class, that would be fun!
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 5:25 PM on Mar. 31, 2011