Help!! Child Abandonment Letter

Hello everyone,

Backround: I am adopting my husbands bd, whom together we have been raising as our own since she was born 6 years ago

However my question: My dd fm's whereabouts are unknown. They have been for the last six years. Because of this we have to prove that DD was "abandoned"/ Because we do not have an address or her written consent the courts are requesting that we

"submit abandonment affidavits and state in our own words why we feel the birth mother has abandoned the child"

I dont know how to start off, I dont know if it should be very formal or emotional??? Are they looking for more of a timeline, or an indepth story?? And how in the world am I to start off the first sentence

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Adoption

• The courts dont want emotional. Just the facts. How to start off? Dear Judge, The court has requested that we the intended adoptive parents of _____(child's name) are required to provide the court proof of the Birth mother's abandonment of said child. Below and or attached, please find the affidavit's for your perusal
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:45 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• You write the facts as you know them. Start with when she was born and the events that led to her being solely in her fathers custody. ERelate any and all contacts, or attempted contacts with the birth Mom. If the bio has gone 365 consecutively without any contact with the child or her custodian it is often enough for abandonment. The longer the better. She wouldn't have to physically see the child..a phone call asking about her, a request for a picture, an email..those are all considered attempted contact. Just include any and all fact start to finish. If the child has special needs make sure to include those too. When our judge learned my granddaughters facial dysmorphia was from fetal alcohol exposure it was THE final straw. She terminated her rights that day after 2 yrs of jockeying around. Good Luck.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:48 PM on Mar. 31, 2011