Tennis player lobs ball at crying baby...

http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/blog/busted_racquet/post/Video-Ferrer-lobs-ball-into-stands-in-direction?urn=ten-wp257

David Ferrer was preparing to serve in his Sony Ericsson Open quarterfinal match against American Mardy Fish when the sound of a bawling child filled the stadium court. The sixth-ranked Spaniard briefly paused, but decided to play through the noise.

Ferrer lost the point. Then he lost his composure. Looking in the general direction of the crying baby, Ferrer lobbed a ball into the crowd in frustration. He went on to lose the next point and four straight games, capping a complete second-set meltdown.

He was not fined or anything for what he did. Luckily no one was hit, but what kills me is all the people defending the tennis player's actions! Saying things like "a tennis match is no place for a baby, I would have done the same thing." "Its the dad's fault for bringing the kid." Etc. etc. Seriously people? While I'm not going to argue that a tennis match might not be the best place to bring a child, that is NO EXCUSE for a professional to hit a tennis ball towards an innocent child ON PURPOSE! Gosh! Since when does an baby deserve to get aimed at for crying?! That's like saying a woman deserved to be swung at because she pissed off her husband.

Ash9724

Asked by Ash9724 at 5:44 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't give a crap if the baby was crying or not....it is NEVER ok to be violent to a baby. EVER! Maybe the guy didn't have anyone to watch his child and had to bring her. I really don't see why it's such a big deal - if the baby was disrupting the game, why not ask them politely to walk around for a bit to help the baby calm down? My husband said it best, "I hope he loses every match he plays from here on out." Shame on the tennis player and anyone sticking up for him.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 12:09 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• a crying baby does not belong at a tennis match!!!!

==

Or on the court. Maybe David Ferrer should have a maturity check. He deserved to lose the point. If he can't concentrate through a crying baby or a jet plane flying over head, than he's not that good of a tennis player. HE sucks.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 6:04 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• lol wait when the said there was a baby crying where they talking about the infant or the tennis player? haaaaaaaaaaahahahaah
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 5:59 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Sorry, but a more professional way would have been for the tennis player to ask for the baby to be taken out. Lobbing a ball in the stands raises the possibility that someone would get hit.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 6:17 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• that's horrible what if he hurt that child
    ChocoGreenmama

Answer by ChocoGreenmama at 5:56 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• seriously the baby doesn't know what he is doing is disruptive, all he knows is why hes sad. the player could have asked to have the family or whatever leave or something like. how can people defend someone trying to hurt a baby?
    you dont have to put up with the crying you dont have to live kids or babies but people can just try to hurt babies wth people
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 5:56 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Hmmm...which one was the baby in this scenario? The baby or the tennis player? I'm going to go with the tennis player. Loser.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 6:01 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• If he had any sense he would have stopped and asked the judge to ask the people to leave. To bad he didn't smack the kid with the ball so they could have sued him.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:16 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Well what he did was wrong yes, BUT...Those parents should NOT have brought a screaming kid to a professional tennis match. More over, the judges should have had that kid and his parents REMOVED. Professional tennis is played for BIG $$ I know a screaming kid annoy's the hell out of me when I'm out at a nice restaurant trying to have a pleasant dinner. Imagine the tennis player trying to win a 1/2 million dollars and being distracted by ignorant parents screaming kid.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:48 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I watched the so called 'lob'. He didn't aim. He just hit the ball. It went into the crowd. I can't see how the press got 'lobbed ball at a crying baby". Sensational headlines.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:15 PM on Mar. 31, 2011