Does your cell company to do this to you?

I'm just wondering it this is "standard" cause its never happened to me before!

I've had verizon for two years. Last month I added a line (my hubby) I had to upgrade to a new "family share plan" not a big deal. My minutes plan went from $79 to $114 still cheaper than two seperate lines. So I got my bill today. For $215!!!!!

Called to find out what is up and was told that when you upgrade your plan they charge you for a month in advance. (Its two months plus a $50 credit) So for upgrading my plan I have to pay for two months. This does not make any sense to me.

tristansmom74

Asked by tristansmom74 at 5:50 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Money & Work

• Sadly phone and cable companies can do this.....I just got a similiar double bill from our cable company......we recently went from free service (as my husband was employed there) to having to pay like everyone else, lol....sucks but yep they can do that!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:52 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Yes, that's normal for a lot of companies who bill for the coming month (cable or insurance for example), depending on where you're at in your billing cycle.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:53 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Yes, that's standard practice. Has been for years now.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:54 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• they are alldoing the pay a month in advance now. but they should have told you that would have been on your bill also.
    smileynikki712

Answer by smileynikki712 at 6:04 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Most cell companies and almost all cable companies bill for the month coming. They went to this practise when people quit paying their bills on time. They can never get the service back once the month is gone. Unlike electricity and gas cell phones and TV are luxeries...so they bill in advance.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:32 PM on Mar. 31, 2011