How come I can't take Zinc Losengers while breastfeeding?

My obgyn said I can take robotusin though which makes you all drugged out. Zinc Losenges are natural. This doesn't make any sense. I have a bad cold!!!

karina400

Asked by karina400 at 5:58 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Health

• Because zinc is excreted in breast milk and you can DIE from a zinc overdose. Meaning you could kill or seriously harm your baby! LISTEN to the Dr!!!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:02 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• you can take zinc!!! you find zinc in fruits and multivitamins. your doc is an idiot
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 6:02 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/cold-remedy.html

My pharmacist said it was fine to take zinc lozenges right after I nursed and only per the instructions on the label.  DO NOT exceed what is recommended on the label.  Personally I would talk with a pharmacist before I talk with a doctor about what is compatible with nursing.  Most OBs have NO clue what is and isn't safe while nursing.  Go to the pharmacy and let the pharmacist know your symptoms and that you are nursing and they should be able to recommend something over the counter for you.

aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:27 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Maybe you should clarify with the Dr, plain Robitussin is an expectant and will not make you feel drugged out. I take it all the time for my allergies just drink lots of fluids with it, it will make the medicine work better.

Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 7:01 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I'd say you should be able to but I would ask an on call nurse.
    malexander2009

Answer by malexander2009 at 6:20 PM on Apr. 15, 2011

• Because it will pass into breastmilk.
    Samanthamommy

Answer by Samanthamommy at 5:27 PM on Apr. 18, 2011

• it will get into the breast milk
    mommyof3-2008

Answer by mommyof3-2008 at 6:15 PM on Apr. 19, 2011