Have you ever witnessed abuse of EBT?

I was in line behind a family that had a ton of soda, junk food, frozen dinners,allname brand of course. Their kids were throwing candy, from the eye level candy the store conveniently put in the isle by the checkout, with the mother not even raising an eyebrow. They were wearing name brand clothes,the mother with a $200 Juicy Couture purse from which she whipped out an EBT card to pay for it all. Yes I'm jealous. My hubby has a 3 tier systems anylist job with Siemens and I have a very strict budget with only 2 kids. They had 4. WTH? Am I over critical and nosy or do I have a right to be pissed watching my husbands paycheck pay for their gluttony?

CHarlan

Asked by CHarlan at 6:02 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Over critical and nosy. You don't know their circumstances and it's really none of your business.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 8:21 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• And let us guess, she had fake nails, tons of jewelry, a Coach purse, an iPhone, a 10' tall EBT card that could be seen from 6 aisles away, and you followed her out to watch her load it all into an Escalade. Did I miss anything?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:06 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Since when is buying frozen dinners abusing EBT? lol What if they are on sale? Is it ok with you then? They're on sale this week at my local store & you better believe I'm buying some! (in case you're worried about it, its with actual money; we don't qualify for FS) Just because YOU don't buy frozen dinners doesn't mean nobody else should be allowed to (EBT or not!)
    Anonymous

• confused

Wow... is all I can say. I guess I have never paid attention to other people's carts or how they are paying.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:05 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Yep, I know people who sell them for 50 cents on the dollar. Does no good to report.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:10 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Do you go harass other places that take your tax dollars too? Do you go question the police or fire dept on how they spend "your" money?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:31 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• What amuses me is these rants aren't really about how people spend their food stamps. They're about people who are whining because they're too lazy to save money and shop intelligently. Every story I ever hear about the phantom woman with the 10' FS card details a cart full of things I could get for far less than the people doing the whining insist they have to budget for groceries. But they don't want to actually do any WORK to get their groceries cheaper, they'd rather whine and complain about it (which is ironic, considering how they usually frame the argument against fs people).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:38 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I feel the same way.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 6:06 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I think the biggest problem is that they give people way too many foodstamps. I was getting 680 for me and my 3 children. We only need about 500 a month, because I plan our meals and use coupons =) Needless to say, when I got off welfare (was only on about 6 months), there was so much extra money on the card that just never got used.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 6:11 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

Answer by NotPanicking 23 minutes ago

LOL. Yeah, sounds to me like someone has a little too much time on her hands, to be that interested in someone she doesn't even know.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 6:31 PM on Mar. 31, 2011