Tantrums

Aside from my potty training issue... My son throws HORRIBLE tantrums.. Throws himself on the floor, throws things, hits, SPITS on my floor, and bites his wrist. How can I keep him from doing these things, I know tantrums will happen but he throws them all the time. Resturants, stores, home, car... I hate getting those looks from people in public like "control your banshee child" hes a great kid he just has an attitude and I dont know what to do. HELP.

kduffy

Asked by kduffy at 6:09 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know my boy used to bang his head thank God that stopped. We all can't have calm kids. Just stick to your guns, explain what he is doing etc., its the terrible twos stage. It's hard.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 6:17 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• My daughter has just started doing things like this also, when people give me looks I give them right back and would like to tell them that if they have anything productive to help I would be more than willing to hear but otherwise back off, but I don't. We have started doing timeout and when she is hitting herself and screaming while in time out we just add more time, in other words she does not get out of time out until she is calm and knows why she was there. The problem seems to be that you don't have a timeout everywhere you go and can't just stay locked up in the house all the time, what we do is take a family timeout if we are out in public like at the grocery store we will go to the area where the restrooms are and sit until we can calm down and so on. It is very frustrating and annoying at times but I feel that if they think they can get away with acting like that out in public they will. Good luck.

damselphish

Answer by damselphish at 8:58 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I agree with damselphish. My son has Sensory Processing Disorder and so sometimes he gets overstimulated. He is very hard to control when he gets like that and it is very frustrating. He gets upset he'll pull his own hair or smack his ears. It's really hard to wach my son abuse himself like that. I just try to stay calm, that's the biggest thing. The more I react to his behavior, the worse he gets, and not just in each instance, but all day. His behavior will escalate if I react too much. He gets a time out in his room when he is emotionally upset. I don't give him disciplined time outs unless he did something to earn it, like hit his sister or throw something that he knows he shouldn't. I want him to feel safe in his room and know that he can always go there and calm down when he is upset. It's just my personal opinion on it. It's a daily struggle, but eventually they will learn and grow out of it. Good luck!
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 10:13 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• there is more to that than just a temper tantrum get him a full medical workup
    opinionatedmom

Answer by opinionatedmom at 12:37 PM on Apr. 1, 2011