Second thoughts on breast feeding......feeling less of a woman :(

I have had 2 kids already and did not breast feed them, i am preg with my third and 33 1/2 weeks along. I had decided that i was for srue going to breast feed but now i am not wanting to. i am feeling very guilty and less of a woman......i guess i just needed to vent

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:16 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I am a BF mom, I would have to say that I am proud when I hear a mom at the very least try to BF. I know that there are BF moms that ridicule other moms that do not BF. I try to be more open minded and realize that BF is not the easiest job. Yes once you get the hang of BF it will be easier. On average the first 8 wks are the hardest.
    For you to be successful you will need to be 100% comfortable with BF. It would be wonderful if you at least tried b4 saying you can't do it. I understand that for every woman out there frowning on you for not BF there would be a woman or man frowning on you for choosing to BF.
    In the end we can not make you decide to BF and you need to ignore any comment from either side of the fence, look deep down inside and choose the path best for you and then feel good about your decision. Neither choice is the wrong choice.

Good Luck!!
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 7:40 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• do what YOU feel is right for you. there is no reason to feel guilty if you truly don't want to. listen to yourself, not what other ppl think or want
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 6:21 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Less of a women? You are pregnant. Not lees of a women. Just because you do not want to breastfeed does not mean anything.

Answer by louise2 at 6:26 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Why not just give it a try. If you don't like it you can give it up. It might surprise you and you may enjoy it.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 6:35 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Or it could go very smoothly and you won't have sore breasts, bleeding, or need to pump (like it did for me twice). The feeding well you have to do that whether you nurse or fomrula feed so that is a moot point. If you nurse then you will save a ton of money and time not having to buy formula, no bottles to prepare and clean all the time. Breastfeed baby throw up doesn't stain clothes nearly as bad as formula and it is better then formula since it is what our babies were designed to get. That being said it is also your choice and you need to do whatever you feel works best for you and your family.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:33 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I would just like to tell that breastfeeding has its advantages, no bottles to heat up in the middle of the night, the price is right and I realize that my experience may not be the norm but I had no problems, no infections, no sore nipples or any of the other problems you hear about and may women that I have spoke with did not have problems.
    Please do not let others make you feel bad about your decision though if you are stress about it nursing will be more diffcult and a new baby is hard enough without all the pressure to live up to the so called ideal. Good luck
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 6:33 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• It is 100% your decision but it is a wonderful thing there are tons of people out there to help when your in the hospital the lactation specialest should show you everything you need to know even if ou just try it and the baby gets the clostrum it will be worth it GOOD LUCK MOMMY!!!!
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 6:36 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Why would your breast bleed? That is a sign of a very bad latch which is correctable and does NOT always happen. I have 2 children that I nursed for 2 years each and even with TONS of lathing issues with DD I NEVER ONCE had bleeding nipples.

You do not have to pump.

It is actually VERY EASY with other children. You do not have to mix bottles, wash bottles or deal with any of the other health issues formula brings along. You can feed baby WHENEVER, WHEREEVER!

I think if you have never done it then you have NO IDEA what it is REALLY like. It sounds like you have heard a lot of horror stories but have no experience yourself. Just give it a try...you have nothing to lose...and ANY breastmilk the baby gets is better than nothing!

GOOD LUCK!
    Anonymous

• it never hurt for me, i never had bloody boobs, it was so much easier than cleaning bottles. there's no reason not to try :) good luck!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:42 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Don't feel like you are less of a woman. If you are not comfortable with doing it and are not wanting to, you should not. You will not be successful if you do not truly want to do it.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 6:46 PM on Mar. 31, 2011