Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Is there a test to determine if a teen child has asperger's

My son has a lot of trouble in school -- yet is very smart. He has never had many friends and he doesn't seem to realize what is inappropriate language or behavior in school or in public, or anywhere for that matter. I have two other sons, and they don't seem to have this issue. He is on depression and anti-anxiety meds and seems to be developing an ulcer because of his anxiety about school. He currently is failing courses that he knows a lot about - just can't seem to get the homework done - yet is perfectly capable of doing. He, however, is not good at math and really struggles there.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:24 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

Answers (9)
  • there seems to be a test for everything anymore. just talk to his doctor about your concerns.

    Answer by febmom007 at 6:25 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

  • You can have him evaluated by a psychologist or a psychiatrist. Talk to his doctor to get a recommendation for a good one you can go to.

    Answer by layh41407 at 6:40 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

  • Talk to his pediatrician. They will most likely refer you to a children's hospital where they perform the tests.

    Answer by Orionsgirl at 6:53 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

  • Talk to the doctor that is prescribing him anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds. Get a referral to a psychiatrist that deals in the teen years and have him tested properly.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:41 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

  • There is no blood test or specific medical evaluation. But in order to get a recognized dx in the area I live in an individual has to be diagnosed by a developmental pediatrician, developmental psychologist, or developmental psychiatrist. It would not be enough to get services and resources to have a diagnosis by a psychotherapist or general pediatrician or general practitioner. A psychiatrist most likely would refer him to a developmental psychologist. Every psychologist has specific certifications in assessment evaluation tools they are qualified to administer. Taking him to just anybody who has the title psychologist or psychiatrist will not be enough. But a good beginning because they can refer you to the right professionals. It is a process and can be a little long. Hang in there.  Our local hospitals have developmental services that have specialist desgined for this specific thing.


    Answer by frogdawg at 10:41 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

  • Yeah, I agree with frogdawg (I have an MSW). I think starting with your doc or a psychologist would work, but you'll have to go further for an actual Dx.

    Answer by 4EqltyMom at 12:02 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

  • Make sure to do some research on your own. Make sure to look for licensed recommended doctors in larger hospitals. If it is something developmental and that can make a difference in his curriculum and future you want to make sure not to take the easiest path. Go with the longer drive, even if it takes you states away. A child's welfare is top priority.

    Answer by blainesgirl at 3:57 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

  • sorry i have no advice

    Answer by mommyof3-2008 at 10:47 AM on May. 26, 2011

  • idk speak with your doc

    Answer by mommyof3-2008 at 8:00 AM on May. 28, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.