When do kids start helping out in the kitchen?

At what age do your kids start helping you cook in the kitchen? What did you do to start planting the idea in their head that "Hey cooking with mom is fun"?

I think my son is still a little young (20 months), but I really can't wait until my son is able/interested in cooking with me... at least I hope he will want to!! Usually he likes to hang out near me while I'm cooking, but sometimes he just runs away to play in the living room. I know to just give it time and to accept it if he just isn't interested, but if anyone had any tips on what I can do to encourage an interest in cooking, please let me know!

Thanks for the advice!

Sebbiemama

Asked by Sebbiemama at 6:50 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in General Parenting

• My first thing was pizza. (premade crust, ragu, cheese, toppings of choice). around 2-3yo. She loved smoothing the sauce out with a spoon throwing on some cheese & toppings. Making faces with not to kid friendly food is great. almost any veggie can go on a pizza to put it in ur kids diet (especially if u can hide it under cheese!)
    When they are big enough to poor u can measure ing. so they just poor them together then with ur help stir.
    At 4 she wanted to make her own PBJ. but still needs help.
    Id love to have her help more but her being around the stove when its hot scares me! even if its to help stir/add something on the stove. Just cant do it.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:03 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Make no bake cookies or haystacks or even puppy chow. Those all require mixing and no cooking and for the mixing part you could put it in a gallon zip lock bag and he could shake it all up!
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 6:53 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I started letting my 3 DSs help me stir soup or mac-n-cheese when they were 3 or 4. My oldest is a 7th grader and is learning some easy cooking recipes at school. He loves to come home and make them for us. My DH and I let him have use of the kitchen any time. He made pancakes from scratch all by himself. It was nice to sit back, relax, and talk to him while he was cooking. I never pushed cooking. I let them tell me.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 6:58 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• we have ben baking since around 2 and at 5 now my dd loves making her own breakfast,lunch. She helps me with dinner and we bake once a week.
    DawnLauren

Answer by DawnLauren at 7:05 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• my boys love to sit on the counter and stir the eggs or cookie batter.. what ever we are making.. its always fun to sit your baby in a high chair or on the counter or have them stan on a chair to help stir or crack an egg...if they can stand up... its time to cook with mommy!!!! :)
    dfwhite

Answer by dfwhite at 9:21 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• That is all up to you. The little ones can make the own sandwiches and pour their own drinks. The older one can start with helping make eggs and you watch him. Then if you see its some thing they like then dinner start with setting the table and so on..
    butterflies78

Answer by butterflies78 at 10:20 PM on Mar. 31, 2011