My baby will be a month old this Sunday...and i'm breast feeding, I have to go back to work at the beginning of May. I pump and let her nurse and when I do pump...I sometimes barely only get 4 ounces, but when I wake up in the mornings...I am leaking. how can I produce more milk so when i go back to work, she'll have enough?

TessaY

Asked by TessaY at 6:55 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Getting four ounces is really, really good. A lot of women who nurse successfully can only get an ounce at a time from pumping so don't be discouraged. I would keep doing what you're doing, stock the freezer with pumped milk, and then plan to pump at work once you go back. Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 7:39 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• pump more often, for fifteen minutes, it will make your body think you need to make more milk, and you will.
    ajmcheath

Answer by ajmcheath at 8:27 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• 4oz is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! u need 1.5oz for every hour u will b gone! make sure u pump every 2-3 hours at work for 20min at a time even if no milk is coming out it will tell ur body to make more milk! ur pumping out put mean nothing about ur supply some women do not respond well to pumps! ur doing fine relax!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:35 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Pump an hour after you breastfed your baby a few times a day or more to get your milk supply up. And or you can only feed her off of one breast and pump each time from the other. I was doing both of these to stock up my freezer and I was getting an easy 5-10oz.. at a time after a couple of days. Not saying you will too for sure but the more you pump and she eats the more milk you make to keep up with demand.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 12:04 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I've heard that Mother's Milk Tea helps produce more milk. Also to pump the other breast while your baby is breastfeeding. I did that with my DD. cuz my other boob dripped like crazy while my DD breastfed.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 1:53 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Four ounces is HALF of baby's need while you're at work. Normal pump output is half an ounce to two ounces. Baby's need is 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour of separation.

You WANT to come home to a ravenous baby.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:02 AM on Apr. 1, 2011