Do you think that the world will ever change for the better?

Or will it keep getting worse? Things are so crazy all over and I wish I could do something to make a difference. Praying seems futile, voting is pointless, and the guys with the power are all psychopaths! I hate seeing people suffer, especially children. Why can't the decent human beings be the ones calling the shots? The future looks grim for our children if we don't do something about it right now.

TwilightMack

Asked by TwilightMack at 7:11 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• It'll get better about the same time that people stop hating one another because of skin color, beliefs, opinions, among a WHOLE lot of other things and begin to undersand that we all live in this world together so what happens, good or bad, affects us all. Oh and it would be a lot better if people discarded the idea that it's ok to "step" on another in order to better your own life. It will get better when people stop fighting each other and start working together. Unfortunatly I don't see it happening any time soon.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 7:22 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• The world isn't any worse today than it was 100 years ago in fact it is better. I think the issue today is people watch too much of the 24/7 sensationalized news. I have some old newspapers my grandmother kept and they are no different than many of the headlines we have today. There was war, famine and suffering. Today kids, women and black people are more safe than they were 40-50 years ago. We have better hygiene, better nutrition and better laws that protect women and children. I personally choose to look at the good in the world and all around me.
    Anonymous

• I am a teacher and I left work today crying b/c I was told the program I teach is being cut. I will not be losing my job thank God. So DH didn't understand why I was crying. But, the tears weren't for me...they are for the kids I work with. They need extra support in reading and now there will not be any for them. Sucks.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:28 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Some things will get worse and I may never see those things get better but I'm not going to stop trying to affect change that is sorely needed in this country and in our government.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:20 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I can only hope for the best and help teach my children to be better people and help to make the world a better place
    dimpsedee34me

Answer by dimpsedee34me at 7:22 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I think the world is slowly getting better all the time. If you read history, people all over the world and here were basically pretty ruthless and violent and much more prejudiced than people of today. It would put everything in perspective to read some good history books.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 7:41 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I agree with minnesotanice. Our ancestors suffered a great deal, look at our history! I tend to be a positive person and not so pessimistic. I look for the good in people and I find it. It's all perception and what you look for. Sure there will always be crime and deceit in government but there is also good. I tend to focus on the good and stay away from the negative. I have always had a determination to make the world a better place and have taught my children to do the same. Compassion and grace go a long way...
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 7:51 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Well, the econony sucks, for sure MommH2, but other factors in our lives are better than hundreds of years ago, I think.
    I'm sorry that happened. There should NEVER be cuts in education. Maybe some of the funding for WARS should be redirected to fund EDUCATION!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 8:50 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Honestly, I think it's gonna continue to get worse! I wish that weren't true but in my 42 yrs. of life it's unbelievable the changes and it's sad how we as people have lost our respect and compassion for each other, What happened to "Help thy Neighbor?" It's now "Help thy Self!" This generation is disrespectful, dishonest. heartless... I'll stop there cause I could go on and on. One thing i know for sure, I'm raising 2 amazing kids with all the potential in the world and I'm quite sure there's a few others out there that see the possibilities. I guess there still is HOPE!

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 7:41 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I agree with minnesotanice. Study original sources when possible. The difference in the past collapses of empires and our own possible demise has been our unique form of government that has allowed our population to make greater gains in just over 200 years than all of civilization accomplished in the last 5000 years. The entire world has benefited from U.S. advances in all areas of life, because American citizens were able to pursue their dreams without risk of confiscation, death or torture. Perfect? No. But that is why it allowed for amendments to the Constitution as culture grew and adapted to changes in environment. Thomas Jefferson said: "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. "
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 8:26 PM on Mar. 31, 2011