Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Need custody help- my poor babies!

My ex used to do meth (why we divorced) and i think he's doing it again. How do I get emergency temporary custody or how do i make it so that he has to prove he is clean before he can see them. He has been harrassing me a lot too on text messages. I tell him never to text me again, ect. he doesn't listen. Can I get a restraining order or something? Help!!! He is mean and violent and completely insane. I can't handle it and I have to protect my kids from him. I don't have the money right this second to get a lawyer.

Answer Question

Asked by JackieGirl007 at 7:15 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Relationships

Level 35 (73,191 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • Most states have legal aid for women who are not earning enough to hire an attorney. Check online. You can also ger a restraining order if he is threatening you. Go to the police and courthouse to file.

    Answer by thecoffeefairy at 7:18 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

  • This happened to my friend. She called CPS and they paid her ex a visit. Then they filed the order. She has full custody.

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:18 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

  • Call DHS. Say he is exhibiting the signs he use to when he is on meth and you are worried. Also look into the catholic family services they can help you they may even be able to get an attorney to do it for free or at a reduced rate. If however it comes back he is clean and not causing problems it could look bad for you so you need to be sure he is a threat to your kids.


    Answer by Alanaplus3 at 7:21 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

  • File a restraining order. Check with your county probate court for emergency temporary custody and ask for an exparte meeting with the judge. Harrassing/ stalking is illegal - file a report at the police station.

    Answer by meooma at 7:22 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

  • Battered womens' shelters should be able to help you through this with no charge. He is verbally abusing you. They will help with everything. No fear. Just keep doing the next thing. Do what you can to avoid extra stress. Change your phone # , file restraining orders for you and your children. Sorry you are going through this. Keep your chin up and stay tough. This is not a time that emotions will help you, silence the fears, negative thoughts, worries, etc and stay logical. If it is hard to do this for yourself just do it for your kids. It will all be OK. Hugs !!!

    Answer by LeJane at 7:49 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Relationships
Am I overreacting?

Next question overall (Teens (13-17))
My son the idiot