What is the difference between pre-kindergarten and junior kindergarten?

i was checking out the curriculum on the school site of the town we might be moving to and it list the grades and its pre-k, jr k, kindergarten....on up. i never heard of junior kindergarten.....anyone want to clue me in?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:17 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I've never heard of that either and I teach, but my guess would be pre-k is for 3 year olds turning 4. Junior K is for 4 year olds turning 5. And K is for 5 year olds turning 6. And I would imagine they have cut off dates, for example child must be 3 years of age by August 1 to enroll in Pre-k or something along those lines, just like K has cut off dates.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 7:20 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• that's a new one to me..never heard of jr-K.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:20 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• That's new to me too. We just have preK and K where I live.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 7:27 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• You can Google it and see a bunch of links. What I read was that kindergarten is for the older 5 year olds (5 before August) and junior kindergarten is for the younger 5 year olds (5 after August).
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:31 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• ba13ygrl1987 ....thats what my first thought was also, but then maybe thought one is for special needs and the other isnt.... where im at now its just pre-k and its for 3 and 4 yrs olds all in one class
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:29 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• the town itself is 4k ppl and the school is pre-k to 8th for grade school and 9-12 for high school....and just those 2 schools. going to be a big difference if/when we get there. we currently live in a 20k town with 4 public grade schools, jr high, and senior high.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:33 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• It's probably just the way they call the classes. 3 year olds are pre K. 4 year olds are Junior K.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:54 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• No clue. Where I come from it's all just called preschool which is usually just for 4yos but sometimes they will have it for 3yos, too.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:31 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I think Junior k is kids who already went to pre-k but won't make the cut off for age to enter first grade on time.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 3:17 PM on Apr. 1, 2011