Recent diagnosis of "anger overload"

does anyone else have a child with this diagnosis? what kind of therapy should we expect the doctor to recommend, etc

agallo004

Asked by agallo004 at 7:22 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• We did anger management
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:23 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I have never heard of an "anger overload" diagnosis.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 7:26 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I have never heard of that being diagnosed alone... I know one child with it and his primary diagnosis is bi-polar. I was under the impression it went along with something like ADHD, ODD or Bi-Polar. I am no expert though! I only know what my friend told me.
    Anonymous

• I have not heard that term. But you have to ask....HOW did he get THAT angry?
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 7:30 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• @minnesotanice we know why hes angry. he's been in foster care off and on throughout his life. born addicted to drugs. past abuse. but he's a really great kid despite all of this.
    agallo004

Comment by agallo004 (original poster) at 8:01 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Is that another term for "Oppositional Defiant Disorder"??
    cfh72

Answer by cfh72 at 11:45 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Honestly I can only share my experience, strength, and hopes. I am the mom of 33, 30 and 17 years old. We are G-parents to 5 grands 13, 12, 11, 6 and 1 year old. They are all close to us. Being accountable for any behaviors is the key to parenting. Set the boundaries and enforce them. When any child ever has been disobedient to me I deal with it that instant. I have never hit any of our children. But I also never allowed to be the brunt of behaviors. Forgive me for saying but WTH is all these different disorder's. I mean wow! Consistency, accountability, love, and consequences have gotten us to get through.

rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 4:25 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Bump
    jaysmommy04

Answer by jaysmommy04 at 4:48 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• sounds like my 14 yr old son but i havent taken him to a therapist yet for official diagnosis
    carellidkag

Answer by carellidkag at 9:35 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• the diagnoisis is for behavoir that is to the extreme where it interfers with daily life. yes, kids can be angry and have a hard time controlling themselves- these children shouldn't be diagnoised with a disorder. however there are children whos behavoir is so out of control on so many levels they fall under a disorder. these diagnosis' are not a lable that provide an excuse for the behavoir. having a diagnosis allows for therapy/treatments. there are different treatments/therapies that work for certain behavoirs/diagnosis'. some things work better for a child with adhd rather than a child with anger overload. by seperating these disorders with a name or lable, you are able to narrow down the best therapy to help the child over come or learn to cope with their disorder.
    and that doesn't even mean medication right off the bat. there are many ways to help a child deal with their struggles.
    agallo004

Comment by agallo004 (original poster) at 11:12 PM on Apr. 6, 2011