For those of you who delivered early...

How far along were you, how long did you have to stay in the hospital with your baby, and what were the major troubles?

I have had toxemia with all of my pregnancies, but is more intense and started earlier this pregnancy. I am about 32 weeks, and I am worried about delivering early and what to expect if it happens.

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:28 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I had my twins at 33 weeks. I was in the hospital for two days, the girls were in for 3 weeks in the NICU. They bad apnea bradicardia (they would forget to breath and their heart rates would drop), one of them had a collapsed lung at 4 days old, and both were born with pneumonia (I had it and passed it to them). I was told they would be in the hospital until they reached their original due date, but got to come home 4 weeks early. They are 5 now and have no long term effects from being born 7 weeks early and are perfectly healthy little girls! Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and I hope it all goes well for you!
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 7:39 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• had my twins at 35 weeks, no problems at all no NICU or Special Care. I was in hospital for 3 weeks before they were born and we left as a family three days after they were born
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 7:41 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I had twins at 31 weeks, 3 days. They had to be in the NICU for exactly one month. I did get the steroid shots before they were born to help their lungs. I tend to make big babies so they were 3 pounds 10 ounces and 4 pounds when they were born and basically just needed put on a little weight so they could maintain body temp and to learn to coordinate their breathing/sucking/swallowing so they could eat. One baby had to go on CPAP for 8 hours, had some water retention issues, and late jaundice issues, but they were all related to the twin problem that caused them to be born early so it wouldn't really apply to you! Good luck and hang in there!
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 7:42 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I had my daughter at 37 1/2 weeks. I had preeclampsia and her umbilical cord was around her neck. She was 4 pounds 8.5 ounces when she was born. She had to be in the baby NICU for a week!! I was discharged after 3 days but was allowed to stay at the hospital until she could go home. She had to be on a feeding tube and under a heating lamp for a few days.
    MommyNMay

Answer by MommyNMay at 7:46 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I had my son at 24 weeks and one day and u went in Dec 3 2008 and had him Dec11 2008 and got discharge the 17
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 7:47 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I had my son at 36 wks he was 4lbs and didn't have to be put in NICU but we did have to stay a few days because he had really bad jaundice. It depends on yours and the babies health of course and I also think it depeds on what the Doctor wants to do and where I am every doctor has a different plan...
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 8:00 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I had my son four weeks early and had R.S.V. We had to stay in the hospital for almost three weeks. He was very tiny as well as he couldn't breathe on his own. I couldn't even hold my new baby. I sat next to him and held his hand, just to let him know I was here. Even after he came home he needed breathing treatment and alot of love, But now he is sevan and a wild as any boy.
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 8:02 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I had my twins at 35 weeks. I was in the hospital for a week because I had an infection from the c section but it cleared up after a few days with lots of antibiotics (yay thrush in my mooouth) my boys were in the nicu for 10 days and the other for 3 weeks. they were pretty healthy but had to learn to eat. Taden was there for 3 weeks because he wouldn't take a bottle or breast for a while. he had to be fed with a tube, but he got it and gained weight and came home c:
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 8:30 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I had my daughter at 33 weeks due to severe preeclampsia. She had only mild jaundice and anemia, but stayed 28 days to get her weight up from 2 lbs 15 oz.

I was in the hospital 5 days total waiting for my BP to go down.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 8:50 PM on Mar. 31, 2011