HELP! 5 month old has no sleeping pattern!! IM EXHAUSTED!

WARNING!! long and drawn out post!

Kira is 5 months old now and since 8 weeks old has hated nights. She is an angel of a day and sleeps regularily through the day. Unfortunately for me i cant catch sleep durin the day due to my 3yo and running my online business which is also demanding more and more of my time as well.

Come 7pm at night Kira starts winding up. It doesnt seem like colic she doesnt bring her knees up or seem like shes in pain a all she just starts crying and seems like she cant fall into a deep sleep so all night she just dozes on and off and about every 15/20 wakes up crying. She is swaddled and will sometimes take a dummy but most often she doesnt want it. Iv tried leaving her un swaddled. I have a strict bed time ritual of bath, massage for Kira (thomas doesnt like it) then quiet time when i read to them (both kids) then bottle for Kira then into bed. Kira goes off to sleep after about an hour of crying and occasional resettling from me then wakes up about 12-1am and starts with the 15 minute intervals of restless sleep and crying.

She has been doing this since about 8 weeks. Docs cant find a reason medically for the behaviour and im getting more and more exhausted every morning and more frustrated each night. I honestly dont know what to do.

If anyone has any advise or critisism i would love to hear it.

Oh and she is a bottle fed baby and is on Novalac Sweet Dreams which is the only formula that doesnt give her tummy upsets!!

mummsey

Asked by mummsey at 7:35 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Could you try a swing? My niece went nuts with her little one and finally used a swing for several months. Sounds like your little one might have her days and nights mixed up. Can anyone help during the day so you might get a nap in? GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:00 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Thanks elizabr i have actually tried a swing but she hates that too!!! she is a real little hard nut to crack i tell ya!!
    Oh ii would love someone to come to the rescue to give me a rest but i live on 5 hours away from any family members and dont really get out much to meet new friends :( My hubby works 12 hour days so is unfair to ask him either..... i think your right i definately think she has her nights and days back to front!!!

I just hope she grows out of it and soon!!! i cant handle it much longer!
    mummsey

Comment by mummsey (original poster) at 8:06 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Do you let her cry out ever? I STILL have to let my girl cry out sometimes and she is almost 2. but of course you only let them go for about 10-15 minutes (maybe less since shes still so little) but its healthy for her to self-comfort because then she wont become use to the sleeping non-pattern shes on. If that doesn't work then the doctors should be able to advise you on what to do even if there is no medical reason, they usually have good tips on little things like that.
    rebel.mama

Answer by rebel.mama at 8:15 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Thanks rebel. Yes she does get lft to cry actually more often then not unless its the middle of the night as i have to look out for hubby who works big days in a physical job n needs his rest. but up untill about 12 midnight she is virtually left to cry it out for up to 10-15 minutes at a time before i try to resettle..... i dont know ..... i might have to taker back to the doctors......
    mummsey

Comment by mummsey (original poster) at 8:23 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• maybe she's used to the noise during the day. maybe you try getting a noise machine or something that plays soft music through the night.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 1:50 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• The swing is an awesome idea.. i use mine during the day when i need a moment ;). Do you have a really good freind that maybe could help you out during the night so you can get some sleep? Have you talked with you doc about ways to maybe change the sleep schedule? as elizabr said, sounds like she is a lil mixed up right now.
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 6:09 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• My DD is 6 months old and still doesn't have a set schedule...this is kind of early to start, IMO. I used the swing when DD was smaller and had trouble sleeping, and also let her sleep in my bed so she could feel me.
    JustCantWait88

Answer by JustCantWait88 at 5:13 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Really? 5 months too early for a routine?! Wow, i must admit i can only compare her to what my first was like and he started sleeping through the night at 8 weeks old and you could set your watch by him day in day out so i guess i must have been spoiled with him!! Funny thing is she did establish a routine when she was about 3 months old but lost it all together about a month ago and now this is what she is like all the time.

Last night she kept waking suddenly and screeching hysterically with eyes closed for no apparent reason, she was fed, dry, warm but not hot, burped and wraped. This went on for about four hours on and off. She is also doing head tossing from side to side now which is new as well.,.....she is perfect of a day. none of this sort of thing at all......
    mummsey

Comment by mummsey (original poster) at 7:00 PM on Apr. 3, 2011