Why is my dishwasher leaving white residue on dishes?

So we have a 4+ year old "ge" dishwasher. Nothing fancy. And I use, and have always used, Cascade with Dawn dishwasher tabs. I also always run the dishwasher on the normal cycle.... for the maximum amount of time... using hot water. I have always done this and nothing has changed, yet I am now getting a white residue on my dishes. It started out slight... maybe a little on the plastic ware, but now there is much more... and I notice it on all of the dishes. Do we need a new dishwasher? Has this happened to anyone else and did you find any resolve? Also, I always rinse my dishes moderately clean before putting into the dishwasher. Any advice? Thanks.

DRM0329

Asked by DRM0329 at 7:44 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I have to use that lemon stuff...let me go look...
    Lemi Shine the hard water expert- you find it with the dishwashing soap...When we moved to TX the dishwasher was leaving it REALLY badly- so I tried that and it works. You have to use it every time though (at least I do) and I also put vinegar in the rinse aid thingie

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:57 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• i don't know, but let me know what you find out because mine does the same thing! I hate it.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 7:46 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Run cool aid through it. It is hard water build up. A few packs in one wash will make it like new. Lemonade works
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 7:51 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Have you tried using a rinse agent like jet dry? It might help.
    merandaobrien

Answer by merandaobrien at 8:18 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Ours does that when we are running low on jet dry
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:25 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Our news ran a story a few months ago saying that the dishwasher detergent that is made today is does not contain Phosphate. Without the Phosphate detergents are not cleaning as well.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 8:35 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Lemi-Shine does wonders for this issue, we had the same problem. Run it empty with just the Lemi-Shine, and on your next full load fill the sopa up halfway and th other half up with Lemi-Shine. If that does not work there could be something wrong withe your dishwaser. A
    damselphish

Answer by damselphish at 9:09 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I use jet dry in mine.
    mlanderson

Answer by mlanderson at 9:33 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• yes, jet dry. the white residue is just left over soap that hasn't rinsed off properly.
    spastic_poodle

Answer by spastic_poodle at 9:59 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Hard water. I put vinager inmy loads adn works wonders.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 11:57 AM on Apr. 2, 2011