Why is my dishwasher leaving white residue on dishes?

So we have a 4+ year old "ge" dishwasher. Nothing fancy. And I use, and have always used, Cascade with Dawn dishwasher tabs. I also always run the dishwasher on the normal cycle.... for the maximum amount of time... using hot water. I have always done this and nothing has changed, yet I am now getting a white residue on my dishes. It started out slight... maybe a little on the plastic ware, but now there is much more... and I notice it on all of the dishes. Do we need a new dishwasher? Has this happened to anyone else and did you find any resolve? Also, I always rinse my dishes moderately clean before putting into the dishwasher. Any advice? Thanks.

Asked by DRM0329 at 7:44 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I have to use that lemon stuff...let me go look...
    Lemi Shine the hard water expert- you find it with the dishwashing soap...When we moved to TX the dishwasher was leaving it REALLY badly- so I tried that and it works. You have to use it every time though (at least I do) and I also put vinegar in the rinse aid thingie

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:57 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• i don't know, but let me know what you find out because mine does the same thing! I hate it.

Answer by AprilDJC at 7:46 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Run cool aid through it. It is hard water build up. A few packs in one wash will make it like new. Lemonade works

Answer by dancinintherain at 7:51 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Have you tried using a rinse agent like jet dry? It might help.

Answer by merandaobrien at 8:18 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Ours does that when we are running low on jet dry

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:25 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Our news ran a story a few months ago saying that the dishwasher detergent that is made today is does not contain Phosphate. Without the Phosphate detergents are not cleaning as well.

Answer by kc932 at 8:35 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Lemi-Shine does wonders for this issue, we had the same problem. Run it empty with just the Lemi-Shine, and on your next full load fill the sopa up halfway and th other half up with Lemi-Shine. If that does not work there could be something wrong withe your dishwaser. A

Answer by damselphish at 9:09 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I use jet dry in mine.

Answer by mlanderson at 9:33 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• yes, jet dry. the white residue is just left over soap that hasn't rinsed off properly.

Answer by spastic_poodle at 9:59 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Hard water. I put vinager inmy loads adn works wonders.

Answer by Baby4us09 at 11:57 AM on Apr. 2, 2011