Do I need a double breast pump or can I use a single one?

I plan on nuring this baby and was wondering I am a stay at home mom I hardly ever go out I am with my kids pretty much 24/7 but I plan on feeding at the breast, but also plan on pumping for emergency reasons so I have some in the freezer so if I have to be away for any reason and so my dh and kids and feed the baby once in a while. The thing is I don't know if I should get a double pump or a single one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:06 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I think a good single will do the job. I never liked the doubles I tried, and I was able to pump while nursing with the single. I got the most milk this way- 8 ounces once!! I had the Medela Harmony, which is a hand pump, and it was BY FAR the most comfortable pump I used (I tried a few through WIC, too).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:08 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I had to use a single one because only one pump worked on the double one that I used. It takes twice as long, but it is possible.
    Tinker_Jo

Answer by Tinker_Jo at 8:13 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I have had two double electric pumps, and I HATED both of them. And they both broke by 5-6 times using it. One of them was $250.00. Anyway, the double electric was a HUGE waste of money, and I got a cheap $22.00 single-manual pump. It became my best friend! I threw it in my bag and took it EVERYWHERE!
    busywithbabies

Answer by busywithbabies at 8:17 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I like the double pumps. I have nursed all three and worked as well, so that had me using pumps a lot more than you probably will need. I used my fair share of "cheap" pumps...both hand and electric...and this time I bought an "expensive" pump. If I would have started out doing that, I would have actually saved money.

No matter what you decide, one thing I can suggest which really helps and NOBODY told me until I was in tears was to lube up your nipple. Yes, I may be the only one that missed that common sense piece of advice, and I felt dumb afterward, but my god that helped! LOL

Just remember not to get discouraged if you don't get much out at a time, because pumps are not a good indication of how much milk you make.

CM is a good resource for breastfeeding advice once your baby is here though, because there are a lot of experienced nursing moms on here!

Good luck, and good decision, mama!!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:18 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I just used a single one. I am a SAHM as well and the last time i believe i used evenflow the electric one. It was a decent one and it was cheaper than most. I hardly ever went anywhere so i did not use it much. I know there are better pumps out there but since i wasnt going to use it much i Didnt think i needed to spend alot. And as i said that one worked well for me.
    michelle.coppes

Answer by michelle.coppes at 8:20 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• If you are staying home with the baby then a single should be just fine. A double is more for moms who have to be away from their baby for longer periods of time. However, I had both and I could never as much milk out with the single pump.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:21 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• what do you lube your nipple with? Also I plan on getting an electric one, but I the one I want has a double one and a single one
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:22 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• My Dr. said I could use a tiny bit of KY Jelly, but I was worried about it getting into the milk, but a lactation consultant told me to just hand squeeze a couple drops of breastmilk and rub that on my nipple. Yes, please, learn from my mistake on that one! LOL I felt like such a dolt when I called the nurse line and their first question was "what are you using to lube your nipple?" I almost hung up out of embarrassment. LOL
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:32 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• wow I can't believe they don't tell people to do that then
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:36 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Well, you could go for a single, but the thing about that is that your other breast will start leaking while you're pumping. I recommend a double because it saves time and you don't have to worry about the leaking on one side. I've used both, my hands, and the hand held pumps that aren't electric and the double was by far my favorite.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 9:06 PM on Mar. 31, 2011