My 4 year old didnt go to preschool, is he going to be okay for kindergarden this year?

he wouldnt potty train so he couldnt go to preschool... he did go to daycare though... ~nervous mommy~

dfwhite

Asked by dfwhite at 8:09 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in

• I think it just depends on how much you have worked with him. If he knows things like his colors and shapes, can recognize letters of the alphabet, can recognize numbers, has the concept that numbers go beyond 10, some social skills (which the daycare would have helped with), and can transition from one activity to the next, it would definitely be helpful.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:13 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Did your local school have kindergarten registration yet? Take him to that and see what they think. They may "suggest" that you send him to a year of preschool or they may say he's fine! At our school they test to see if they can recognize all the letters, numbers 1-10, colors and shapes. If he knows those he may be just fine to start.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:16 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Yes, he'll be fine. I don't send mine to daycare or preschool- My youngest will be entering K4 this year, my middle child is a rising 1st grader, and the eldest will be in 5th... none of them attended daycare, preschool, church functions. They do not need preschool.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:16 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• My dd is in pre k right now and they taught her shapes, colors, she can recongnize all 26 letters in the alphebet and the sounds they make and she can spell/write her name. She can also count to 20, put together a 15 piece puzzle and knows the days of the week in order. Pre K has really helped her a lot.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 8:18 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• the school district where I live has a "readiness" booklet online that explains what a child should know by the time they are in kindergarten and how you can practice with them so they can be ready. if you want I can try and save it and email it to you, it wont be specifically what YOUR district wants but I'm sure it would help if you can't find anything for your own district.
    or you could email or call someone at the district office or at the school they'll be going to
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 8:23 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• well when you register them for kindergarten they should give you a packet with all of the things they expect the kids to know before they start kindergarten. so you can evaluate their level of readiness using that, and since they are in daycare i think the social aspect of it should be fine. gl and don't worry....my son never went to pre-school or daycare and he's doing great in kindergarten!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:23 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• should be i excelled in school without ever going to preschool
    ajmcheath

Answer by ajmcheath at 8:25 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• We were just talking earlier about how different things are now...when my DD started kindergarden they wanted her to know:
    her ABCs
    to count to 10
    colors
    how to color in the lines
    how to tie her shoes
    her home phone number
    her parents names
    her address

IT WAS RIDICULOUS!!! When I was in school, that's what kindergarden was for!!! I taught her most of it but never really asked what would happen if she didn't know it...they can't deny her admission because of it. I think she will do fine...how did any of us ever survive without all the advancements we have today?
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 8:28 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• My daughter didn't go to preschool and she was academically ahead of most of the kids who did go to preschool. We did some stuff at home to prepare her for Kindergarten, but not a whole lot. But she was a little behind socially because she hadn't been around a whole lot of other kids on a regular basis other than the kids that I babysat who were younger than her.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 8:38 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• not like they can not let your child go to kindergarten
    somekids will be "more advanced" than others
    it is kindergarten and the teachers are reday to teach them these basic skills
    mine will be in 4K this fall, just had IEP, 4k teacher was there, she said HUGE difference between start of year and end...sure it is the same with 5K too
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:40 PM on Mar. 31, 2011