What do I need to know about assisting a friend in giving birth?

I know this isn't "just for fun" but I didn't really know where else to put this question! I'm hoping some home birthing Mommas can give me some tips. My best friend will be delivering her child at home and she's asked me to assist. I'm thrilled! I want to make sure I am thoroughly informed so she can have the best experience. I'm not looking for people to tell me I'm crazy or for her to go to the hospital. This is a serious question. If you know of any great websites, or videos that I can watch that'd be great! Thanks in advance!

Mrs.B3

Asked by Mrs.B3 at 8:14 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Just for Fun

• When attending a birth it's really important to respect what mom needs at that time. If she wants to make noise, don't try to quiet her...if she wants quiet, don't make small talk...etc. Make sure her needs are met (snacks, drinks, rest, bathroom...etc) and most important bring a good attitude. If you are fearful or uncomfortable, she will sense that and it could really interfere with her labor. Bring good birth vibes! GL. Attending births, especially homebirths are a great experience!
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 8:35 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• You tube is great for birthing videos.

I've done this a few times. Just be there, and do what ever she needs you to do. When my BFF went into labor some things I did were:
    *she was hungry so I made her some foods
    *rubbed her back, feet, etc..
    *helped her to focus during contractions
    *held her leg during pushing
    *always asked her what she needed.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:17 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I agree with the others...try to make whatever she needs/wants happen. Let any inconvenience fall on you. I would look in to what you could do to help her with pain management during labor and birth. I would try to get a feel for what she wants, what she is afraid of, what she absolutely does not want, etc before the delivery. And ask her if there is anything specific that she has in mind, and just try to make what she wants to happen happen.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:15 PM on Mar. 31, 2011