Is it appropriate for a 5 year old kid to ask another kid if they have a penis or vagina?

I heard this conversation earlier and was wondering what your thought are. A 5 year old girl asked a 6 year old boy if he had a penis. Just wondering if you think it is a healthy curiosity or if its just wrong!

dragonqueen

Asked by dragonqueen at 8:22 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• At that age, and without any other indicators, it is the same as asking if you're a boy or a girl... Good for her, knowing what to call them! I *HATE* it when parents use pet names.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:24 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• OMG, total fine! I can't believe people are saying its inappropriate and that a 5 year old shouldn't know the word penis or vagina. Do they know that their elbow is called an elbow? And their fingernail is called a fingernail? Those are the proper names! Would the above poster be ok if she asked if he had a pee pee? How ridiculous!

I have a DD6 and a DS4, its penis and vagina and they are naked together all the time and I promise you it is COMPLETELY natural and innocent with absolutely NO hint of inappropriateness. To suggest otherwise is very ignorant!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:48 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Sounds normal to me. Remember Kindergarten Cop ... "Boys have a penis. Girls have a vagina."

I hate those "cutesy" names as well. Annoys the hell out of me.

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:41 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I was telling my friend about this question. She has two boys. She reminded me of the time her oldest asked her what happened to her penis. Did she BREAK IT OFF??????

I almost choked because I was laughing so hard.

Seriously, those of you who are freaking out and saying it's wrong ... what do you tell your kids about their bodies?
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:31 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Sounds normal.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:24 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• kids have no shame when it comes to that stuff. They don't understand that adults would not ask that because they don't understand what its all about. It's pretty normal for kids to wonder about that sort of thing.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 8:25 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• well said obbydobbie! and i also agree, dont confuse them with different names. be honest about them.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 8:26 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• i don't think that's anything weird.....that is a normal fascination at that age. i hope he said something like 'i'm a boy, what do you think??' that's what my 5yo would have said lol (and my 3yo for that matter)

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:26 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I don't think that's wierd, it's genuine curiosty, but they would need to be told it's not socially appropriate.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:29 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Sounds normal to me. Glad to hear she knows the proper names! I remember when I was that age it was a frequent question (usually it was "pee pee" and some word that was supposed to be "vagina," though).
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:33 PM on Mar. 31, 2011