How can I get my 2 year old to take medicine

I have put it in milk, juice, ice cream, soda (I know thats terrible but I tried it anyway), popsicles (the flavor ice kind that you freeze), I have also tried the holding her down and putting it in the back of her throat and holding her mouth closed she still manages to spit it out or she throws up. I have attempted the threatening of shots, I have also tried the you do it or I will do it for you, this option just ends with us both covered in medicine. I have tried bribes with candy, and other things she does not normally get, and am at a total loss! She now is refusing to eat or drink much because she is afraid that I have put the medicine in it. Most people just say shes 2 and your the adult just do it but as much as I wish it were that easy it isnt, so anything constructive advice that you have to offer would be greatly appreciated!

damselphish

Asked by damselphish at 8:49 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I just went through this as well, the only thing that worked for me is to put the medicine in the bottle before hand, then called her in the kitchen and said, do u want some juice, and let her watch me put "just" juice in it. My 2dd was on amoxicillian, so i would mix it with 1/2 oz h20, and 1/2 oz cranberry juice, it worked like magic though i went through the same nightmare as you. I was down to the end of my line and about to take her back to the hospital. then every morning first thing outta bed, i would just offer her"juice," pre mixed and she drank it like a champ. gl.
    indysownlilbit

Answer by indysownlilbit at 8:59 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• i put the meds in teh lil cup and my 2yr old takes it fine cause he likes the cup and doing it on his on mayb try that?
    kolbysmama20

Answer by kolbysmama20 at 9:01 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Thanks for your advice! We went back to the dr today cause I waved the white flag and decided it was shot time. We got lucky the ear infection is clearing up dr said it was prob viral, information that would have been useful but I guess they can't tell. Now poor bb has horrible diarrhea from the lil bit I did get in her, plus the teachers at school said its going around, can I get a timeout please. I guess thats the price I pay for having to send her to school.
    damselphish

Comment by damselphish (original poster) at 9:50 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• they have droppers that you can give your child their medicine the doctors office should have them and if not the pharmacy should
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 12:33 PM on Apr. 4, 2011