If your baby has a spinal tap and they find white blood cells, does that mean meningitis?

My sister's baby went to er today. My sister just called and said they found white blood cells in her spine. Do you think that means she has meningitis? I am scared to death just thinking about what it could be. They shipped her to Children's Hospital so it must be serious. Her baby is only three weeks old.

tinaandavasmom

Asked by tinaandavasmom at 9:12 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Was the fluid clear?
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 9:25 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Increased white blood cells in the CSF may be a sign of meningitis, acute infection, beginning of a chronic illness, tumor, abscess,stroke, or demyelinating disease (such as multiple sclerosis).

Praying for you and your family.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 9:29 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I have no idea I am too pregnant to be there. My sister has no idea either she just knows they are giving her antibiotics until the cultures come back.
    tinaandavasmom

Comment by tinaandavasmom (original poster) at 7:24 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• When one of my twins were 2 1/2 month old they were shipped to a Childrens Hospital. If they are really young (under 3 mo) and have a fever it shows an infection so they check their urine, spinal tap, and their blood for infections. Mine happened to be a UTI, so that is the main reason for the antiboitics since there is some type of infection going on they just have to find out what kind it is. As for the spinal tap that you are asking about I'm not sure, I would google it, but I know if the fluid is clear than the baby doesnt have mengintis ( I felt really bad when they had to do that; doest really hurt the baby but they have to cruch them up to do it right).
    njstewart07

Answer by njstewart07 at 10:23 AM on Apr. 1, 2011