When did you start feeding your baby solids?

I've heard it's best to start at 6 months, but I'm thinking 5 months would be okay.. what do you think>

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's okay. I think the Academy of Peds is saying six months but doctors will say it's up to you. If you pay attention they change the ages all the time. I think it's fine. Babies are humans and we are all different and have different needs. You are the mother and you know best.
    mamakrysoftwo

Answer by mamakrysoftwo at 9:31 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• 9 months
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 9:40 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• My boys were ready once they had a few teeth.. it is all up to you.. wether you think they can chew or not... i started with the melt away things just in case they couldnt chew the snack melted away anyways... french fries are good too.. i chewed the hard crusty tops off first. LOL
    dfwhite

Answer by dfwhite at 9:44 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Mine just turned 5 months. She's sitting up on her own and shows all signs of being ready to start. She likes sweet potatoes the best so far!
    tnunley

Answer by tnunley at 9:55 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• i started at 7 months! she was ready at 5 months but i just waited! there is no need for them and i was breastfeeding! she was on baby food for a month and then went straight to table food!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:39 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• My daughter is one week shy of 6 months, and she is now eating one thing of Stage 1 Gerber baby food per day. She's sitting and has the oral skills necessary to push food to the back of her mouth and swallow, so she is ready.

When she's ready to start foods that need to be chewed, I'll start her on those, regardless of age. Each child is different, there is no "magic age".
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:53 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I started at just past four months. She was not being satisfied. She did really well. I started slow with just a little and gradually increased the amount as she gave me signals that she needed more. She is now 6 months and will eat almost anything and eats three food meals a day. I think it really depends on your child. If you think he/she is ready for food then go ahead and try it.
    teachermama924

Answer by teachermama924 at 12:17 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Well... I was told by my prediatricion to start as early as 3 months...(rice cereal first) But, my daughter WAS NOT ready for that..and neither was I. I would say you can introduce solids around 5 months...but start out slow.. Rice cereal for first couple weeks.. and start mixing in other baby food. Watch out for allergies. GOOD LUCK!
    kristinamalek

Answer by kristinamalek at 1:09 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I started Stage 1 at 4 months, and we moved up to Stage 2 at just about 6 months...
    JustCantWait88

Answer by JustCantWait88 at 5:09 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I started feeding my kids solid foods when my child's doctor gave me approval. A child's stomach handles solid foods differently.

Watch out for rashes, vomiting and restlessness. It may be a sign of a allergic reaction.

Glo402813

Answer by Glo402813 at 5:23 PM on Apr. 2, 2011