TYLENOL and ADVIL

What kind of medicine do you mom's give your kids?
Do you take any of these two for yourself if so do you think it really helps you out? I have taken both before and don't feel any change where the pain is.

butterflies78

Asked by butterflies78 at 9:36 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in General Parenting

• I always gave my daughter baby tylenol when she was young. I used to take tylenol because that is what you can take while pregnant but as I got older I started taking motrin and find that helps much more than tylenol for me.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 9:38 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I like them both. I dont know much about giving advil to a child... i have actually just recently given my 2 year old advil for his two year molars, only because i couldnt find tylenol...but they both seem to work great.... i think its just a name... they both do they job for my kids. i do know that with tylenol you can also give them motron after 4 hours of giving them the tylenol... i dont no about the advil though... the tylenol and motron helps more with the pain!
    dfwhite

Answer by dfwhite at 9:41 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• i prefer motrin, but i think advil shares the same active ingredient (ibuprofen.. you'd have to double check for me though..)
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 9:44 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Advil and Tylenol are two different medications. Both are pain killer, fever reducer, ect... I've always used Motrin, IBU, same as Advil. I could time it to the hour for it to stop working on my kids fever. For myself, tylenol never seemed to work.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 9:55 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Motrin and Advil are the SAME thing...Ibuprofen, so do NOT give your child Advil if you've given them Motrin. If your child seems uncomfortable, you can give them Tylenol then either of the Ibuprofens 3 hrs later, and have them on a schedule of 3 hours switching from one to another. (You can actually take Tylenol and Advil or Motrin at the same time, but if you want "round the clock" coverage, you're best bet would be to do the switching 3 hrs apart. This way its every 6 hrs, recommended, vs every 8 hrs because the Tylenol seems to stop working after about 3 1/2 hrs.)
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:56 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• See i can tell when its time that its going to wear off on my kids too. I would only give the kids Tylenol when they were new borns but use Advil now and it seems to work faster.
    butterflies78

Comment by butterflies78 (original poster) at 10:04 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Tylenol
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 10:21 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I dont give any medication to my kids unless they have a REALLY high fever, and I use Motrin!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 6:25 AM on Apr. 1, 2011