After the baby is born i want to hold him before or after the doctors clean him off?

i think it depends on how tired i am if i've been in labor for 48 hours just let me hold him for a few seconds and then let me sleep

bump up if you agree and if you dont tell y

nicolia

Asked by nicolia at 9:44 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in General Parenting

• I didn't want to hold any of mine til after they were all cleaned off. All that blood and muck was just to gross for me...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:46 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Both! You will have some major adrenaline going on. I know I stayed awake with my babies for at least 10 hours after they were born.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 9:46 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• wow! i was in labor with my first for 36 hours.. my other two were so short.. but they practically threw the baby on me! i got to hold them for a few minutes then they took them away to do what they do! .. i perfer them to be clean haha
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 9:46 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Bump..I was in labor for so long with my dd (96 hours..yes, I was considered "in labor", just not hard labor until the day of) that I just wanted to sleep..I heard her cry, and felt like ok, I can sleep now.:but had to deal with family and everyone who were there past midnight.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 9:47 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• But I would prefer him to be cleaned off..i think I'd be grossed out with all the stuff on him.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 9:49 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• after..... it will give you a few minutes to collect yourself after all the hard work you had to just do! trust me on this. LOL (i didnt use any drugs to ease the pain with either one of my babies) the first one, they took him and cleaned him off so i could get a grip on what just happend to me.. the second time they gave him to me immediatly... i had no idea what was on my chest and could barley hold him because i was so exausted, i remember asking what was on me and my mom kinda holding my arm around him to give me some extra support... keep in mind.. i didnt have drugs...
    dfwhite

Answer by dfwhite at 9:49 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I labored for 10hrs, then Edwin got a quick clean and was right on me the first few minutes, then they took him and cleaned him more thoroughly. If you labor for a very long time, of course you will be tired, so keeping someone by your side just in case while you hold the baby is best. No matter how exhausted you are never pass up those first moments between you two :)
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 9:54 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Ugh, my doctor basically demanded my boy be placed in my arms before he was cleaned off...I was totally grossed out. I think she realized this, and with my girls, they were cleaned before I held them, LOL.

Yeah, I want them clean before holding.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:58 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• i would wait til after the baby was cleaned off
    mrstumminelli

Answer by mrstumminelli at 10:00 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• to tell you the truth the stuff on my kids was the last thing on my mind!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:01 PM on Mar. 31, 2011