Dogs and kids?

Should you have dogs in a house with your kids?

I do but mine is small and VERY old.(read, she sleeps almost constantly or hides in my room)

Audrice1985

Asked by Audrice1985 at 9:45 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in General Parenting

• of course why not? I love pets and they have been a part of my life since I was old enough to remember.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 9:47 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Pets and kids love them both
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 9:50 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• My 3 cats and 2 lg dogs have adapted well with my baby! All are indoors when we are home... so far no problems! They know to keep their distance when she starts grabbing! lol
    tnunley

Answer by tnunley at 9:51 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Pets and kids are great as long as their is supervision
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 9:59 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I think its cool because its good for both of them. I think its good for the child because it helps them to open up and feel safe. It helps the kid to know he has a friend. The dog knows he has someone who cares for him and is kind to him. I remember when i was a kid and i had a dog it would wait for me after school ether at the school gate or at the end of my drive way. It would happen every day. I remember one time he stayed at the school yard outside and the kids saw him when we went out to play. Every family is different they dont like dogs around their kids but a different animal.. I think its fine.
    butterflies78

Answer by butterflies78 at 10:00 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Dogs & kids are GREAT! My lab/collie mix loves my 4yo to pieces! They play well together. Yes sometimes the dog gets rough (hes 6mo old-but weights as much as dd) and sometimes she gets rough & hurts him. But they still love each other very much & make up to each other.
    *My dd went & spent 2 nights @ my sisters. The first morning I got up & he had gone in her room & dug her favorite pillow that she always sleep in out from beneath other pillows & the covers. SO CUTE. I say he was looking for her "Im coming in to get u, I know ur in here somewhere!" lol.. And a doll she sleeps with alot was beside my door-so im guessing at some point he went & got it & slept near/on it that morning before i got up (so sweetly sickening!)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:30 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• As long as the child is not allergic, and you're OK with taking care of said animal, why not? I grew up around dogs and cats, but we cannot have either as my 5 year old is highly allergic to both, plus I already have 4 animals, I mean kids, I gotta take care of. I really don't think I could handle having a pet on top of everything else.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 12:12 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• why not? I have 5 kids (8,5,4,1,and 4 monthe) and 2 dogs ( big dogs) and 2 cats, and as long as you are willing to clean and keep upthen there isnt an issue! I am a neat freak so It makes for an ext hour of cleaning a day but it is worth it to me!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 6:24 AM on Apr. 1, 2011