My 3 year old starts swimming lessons tomorrow. I have a few questions for anyone whos child has taken lessons.

*How old was your child?
*What did they know before they started?
*How much did they actually learn?
*Did you get in the pool? I was given this option. I said I would come prepared, but really don't want to get in.
*How long did your child take lessons?
*Did you do a class or private lessons?
*Did your child enjoy it?
* Were you satisfied?

Sorry so many questions. This is my first child and I just wanted to ask about other people's experience. My son starts private lessons tomorrow. We have a pool and pond and are around pools all summer. I really want him to learn to swim, as this is something we enjoy and he currently hates. He is fine until his feet don't touch the bottom.

cassey.e

Asked by cassey.e at 10:01 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in General Parenting

• I was a lifeguard at a local swim club, and we gave swimming lessons for varying age groups.We usually saw kids aged 3-4 to 7- 8 years old (though we had an 80 yr/old man once!) Many came knowing nothing other than to stand and 'bob' up and down in the water. Lessons ran about one or two weeks depending on the child's level of acceleration, for 30min to 1hr. As young as your child is, my guess is that they would start with a short lesson. Basic bobbing up & down, while practicing the arm movements standing. Then they would try placing their faces in the water to learn how to 'go' underwater. Some time holding them on their stomach while kicking and moving their arms is also used. For most kids is about getting them confident around the water so that even if they only learn very basic movements they will not be scared.
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 10:10 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• my boys hated it at first too. I think they were 4 when the little one started and then 5 for the older. They'd been in pools before with floaties on. They seem to learn very little for a long time...seems to be more about getting them used to the water and the temperature in the beginning. I did not get in the pool but my husband had to! Yes, your child will likely want you to come in but not always. I saw a woman last week who had a tiny kid crying in the pool and she just smiled and tried to encourage this kid w/o getting in. We did private and group lessons. I was not satisfied for about two years. I spent a lot of money on private only to realize the group were just as effective. They are now working on diving (advanced swimming). It's been about two years of year round lessons and now they like it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:17 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• My daughter was 8 months old and she loved it. I would DEFINITELY get in the pool if it's his first time. If anything, it will get him comfy with being in the water. I have heard horror stories of parents not being in the water and the "instructor" wasn't paying attention and the kid went under. If it was me, then yes, I would be in the water...it's kind of relaxing anyway. :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:25 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• My son was 18 months, it was a group parent/tot type of class. He loved it and continued lessons off and on for the next 8 years. He is a great swimmer, I am glad he had the swim lessons. At age 3 he was swimming in a group class without me in the pool, although I sat outside the pool and watched him.

My daughter at age 5 jumps off the diving board into the 12 foot deep section on her own and swims across to the edge. LOL. She started group swim lessons when she was around 3, but we took her swimming at the family pool from age 5 months.

Learning to swim is definitely a safety issue and it is harder to learn, the older you get. Age 3 is a great time!

I personally would not get in the pool so he learns to trust and follow the instructor at his age. Since you have a pool, you should watch and then practice a few of the things during the week with your son. And goggles helped both my children, I recommend a good quality pair!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:58 PM on Mar. 31, 2011