Okay witchy women... Help me out here, this is for the blog...

I'm creating a "so you're a newbie" post. I already have a "newbie reading list" posted, but now I'm going to talk about alter & ritual tools as well as some of the fun stuff.

Now, I know you don't NEED anything. But bare basics, what would you suggest someone purchase or find when setting up their alter space or before their first ritual? What items do you simply not see yourself without?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:06 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• A canlde. The rest I can do without, but a candle really helps to focus me and calm me.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 10:12 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Okay, but would you suggest that to someone who is brand new? Personally, I don't think many newbies could do it all on a mental plane... I have practiced for over a decade and can't do it that way, I lack the focus...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 10:15 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• a candle and incense, I agree, everything else is extra. although I do have A LOT of chatchki's and idols I keep on it, along with remembrance and seasonal stuff
    wanderingmuse

Answer by wanderingmuse at 10:16 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I never used a ton of stuff. I didn't buy things until I had been practicing for a few years, so I'm not sure what most newbies need/want. But, I did use candles and incense a lot. I think I had a sea shell, too. I guess if someone really wanted a bunch of things, I would suggest candles, incense, smudge stick, something to use for a cauldron or chalice, maybe an atame or wand, and maybe something to represent their deity/deities. I teach my students visualization before working with tools, at least with my real life students. I think it's important to be able to visualize things and do things on your own. That's just me, though. I can understand people not being able to learn that way, but the people I've worked with haven't had a great deal of trouble with it. If they do in the future, I'll change things.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:37 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I remember when I started. I am a knife freak, so the first thing I bought was an Athame.

Candles were next. I think candles are really important because they can help you focus. Incenses are good.

A notebook and a good pen!! In the beginning, a regular spiral-bound to start with or a three-ring binder. I recommend the Pentel RSVP multicolor pack (fine or medium point) because you can leave them open and they seem to last FOREVER and they write wonderfully!!

I'm sure I got other things but those are all I can think of right now.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:47 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I have to agree with candles & a notebook. That's basically all I use, even from the beginning.
    I have a few stones as well that I have collected on my alter. But, I didn't start out with them.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:59 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• what would you suggest someone purchase or find when setting up their alter space or before their first ritual?
    as much related to nature... such as when looking for a wand, look outside for something (stick) most often enough, it calls to the person you can adorn it as you like also feathers found (air) are good too. purchase candles, incense. for a cauldron (which I don't see as a nec in the beginning, this is just me), but using house hold items works well... I use a special wine glass that I received as a freebie gift in an order... nothing fancy...
    the one thing I think ALL Witches need to have is a book/tablet to write EVERYTHING in... about their ritual, about what they have bought, how far they have come, the outcome of casting...etc...
    Cant' think of anything else off hand... I will post more when I do..
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:02 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I don't really practice anymore, but when I started years ago I had some candles, incense, a small metal bowl to use as a cauldron, tarot cards, a small charm with a spiral goddess symbol (I usually used the candles or the charm to focus in meditation or through a spell), books and notebooks, and some chimes and bells. I've just always like chimes and bells, and actually still use them today to start or end meditation. Sometimes I still use candles too. If I could only choose a few of these things, I'd say candles, a notebook, and maybe a bell or chimes--at least for me personally. I could have done without the rest of it.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:52 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• A candle, a representative of the Divine, incense.

Those are what Id want at bare minimum when doing a ritual, etc.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:00 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Can I insert my non-witch pet peeve? If you're going to suggest they get an athame, or mention it as an option, please include the correct pronunciation for when they run around telling all their friends about they the thing they read about online and ran out and bought?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:21 AM on Apr. 1, 2011