Will I get another ultrasound after my 20 week scan/before the birth???

jna1207

Asked by jna1207 at 10:11 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Pregnancy

• unless your high risk most likely not
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:14 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• depends on your insurance and doctor. Most places dont feel it is necessary unless something is wrong. But i know ppl who have gotten so many and i didnt get any after 21 weeks!! (not fair!)
    Mommy103110

Answer by Mommy103110 at 10:16 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I've had 3 done already. During the second one they couldn't see the bottom part of the spine because of the babys position. When I went back it was as if she knew what they were looking for because she was positioned perfectly! No high risk pregnancy. So far so good =)
    jna1207

Comment by jna1207 (original poster) at 10:20 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Not unless there is a medical NEED for it. And if you get one when not needed medically dont be suprised if the insurance Company sends you a bill for it. They get pissy like that these days.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:22 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I actually only had one with my first because of a minor complication, and don't plan on having any with this pregnancy, but it seems like most of my pregnant friends get several, so it's definitely possible you'll get another one. Just ask your doctor!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:42 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I only had one with my first two at 20 weeks. I had two with my last but that was because they were concerned when my hcg was very high at 6 weeks so I had one then and another at 20 weeks. Ususally, you will not have another as it is really not necessary.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:51 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I did
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 12:38 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• It really just depends on your care provider/hospital/insurance company. If everything was fine in the 20 week scan then another really isn't necessary. Ultrasounds are associated with some risk and really provide no good information after the 20 week scan. I personally would decline any offered after that one.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 1:33 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• i had 5 but i have gestational diabetes and they had to monitor the baby's growth and organ development because i was on insulin however my doctor did say that as i got closer say about 27 weeks he would have done another one anyway to make sure that the baby was still growing okay..usually however after the 20 week ultrasound you wont have more unless they didnt get a good look at everything like mine didnt because the baby was too active for her to get everything she needed...i had a friend who's doctors office had a 3d u/s machine in office and make it routine to give the patients one at 35 weeks to show them how their baby was finally developing and make it special at the same time...it all depends on your dr so you need to ask him or her if another one is needed or possible
    ahsot1230

Answer by ahsot1230 at 2:44 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• You only get two/three it depends on what your insurance will approve. Unless there is a reason to look at your baby again, you fall on your tummy, you start bleeding, water breaks early... don't count on it! Good Luck!!
    prissysayshi

Answer by prissysayshi at 3:23 AM on Apr. 1, 2011