Can an employer legally tell you that they can't hire you because it is too far for you to drive?

My husband was qualified more than a kid right out of school and they told him this and gave the other guy the job. Now I am going for a job that is an hour away and they called me after the interview (before I even got home) today and left a message asking if I was still interested because of the commute. I left them a message about my current situation with commission and why this would be better for me, then said it would not be a problem. I wished to speak to her directly but she said to let her a message if she did not answer. I can see their concern but have been hearing similar to this from other people too.

ThatBoysMom

Asked by ThatBoysMom at 10:19 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Money & Work

• Miscellaneous

Avoid interviewing gaffes by sidestepping these questions about residence, legal troubles and military service.

1. What you can't ask: How far is your commute?

Although hiring employees who live close by may be convenient, you can't choose candidates based on their location. Find out about their availability instead.

What to ask instead: Are you able to start work at 8 a.m.?

*I just found that here: http://www.hrworld.com/features/30-interview-questions-111507/

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:32 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• If they have a high turnover rate, they probably don't want someone who is more at risk for quitting the job. I guess that's why a lot of places don't like to hire moms.. I don't think they should be able to discriminate against you because of where you live. I'd definitely talk to someone about that.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 10:23 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• did they TELL you they wouldn't hire you because of the commute? If they didn't say that, then you have no grounds. They have a right to call and inquire if you are still interested after you have actually driven the commute.
    Now if they say "We felt it was too far for you to drive" THEN they have a problem.
    It actually seems to me that they are interesting in hiring you if they are double checking that you are really ok with the commute. I wouldn't start making comments about. You don't want to mess it up, especially if you really want the job.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:25 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• No they cant tell you that. They could get sued for it. Hope you or your hubby saved the messages.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:20 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I don't think so. But I can understand their concern.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:22 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I thought it was illegal- but when I was searching for work in Utah - I did have one interviewer ask me how long it would take to drive to work. I told him about 15 min. Everything seemed great, but I never heard from them again so I don't know
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:41 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I don't think there is anything illegal about that. The longer your commute, the more likely you are to quit.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:12 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I would look into it.
    KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 9:18 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• i think their main concern would be daily commeture stress, but here in Ca most of us have long commutes to work so its never really been an issue i or friends/family have dealt with , look up the laws in your state to see if its legal or not
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:33 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• no message. they told him that at an interview! 2 other guys too from further away got turned down. one guy flipped out on them about it. they were all discussing it afterwards and thats how they found out the youngest guy with no experience got it!
    ThatBoysMom

Comment by ThatBoysMom (original poster) at 10:26 PM on Mar. 31, 2011