9 yr old, and picking up after herself

So we moved in with my MIL after DH lost his job and we moved to another state. My MIL is a nice woman but I'm sure she has her limits. She is meticulous in cleaning and I feel bad about taking up so much space; especially since our baby is coming soon! So I try to keep the house clean but DD is making it especially difficult. I'm 34 weeks pregnant and picking stuff up off the floor is a bit..well difficult at the moment. Every time I get on to her for leaving stuff out she picks it up, but then the next time she forgets again. Any ideas on getting her to clean up after her without me behind her telling her to pick her stuff up every single time?

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 10:41 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I know with mine, I take privaledges away when she doesn't do as asked.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:42 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Tell her if she cant learn how to pick it up without being told first then she isnt allowed to touch anything without permission...
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:43 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• When you find something laying around that she should have put away, put it away yourself, somewhere she won't have access to it. When she asks about it, tell her she can have her toys back when she learns to pick up after herself.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:17 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Its not toys, its things she needs such as cloths and backpack. etc.. When we moved we trashed 99% of our stuff. So no toys.
    SalemWitchChild

Comment by SalemWitchChild (original poster) at 11:18 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• The only "privilege" she has right now is playing with the neighbor kids which she hasn't done all week.
    SalemWitchChild

Comment by SalemWitchChild (original poster) at 11:45 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Set up a chores list. Tell her if she can do these chores everyday without being asked to for a period of time (say a week) she will get to choose something special (like going out to eat with Mommy and Daddy, get a new toy, have a sleepover, etc.). The more positive you can make the experience, the more likely she is to comply with what you want. Plus it's a lot less stress on you.
    IrishMomma727

Answer by IrishMomma727 at 2:40 PM on Apr. 2, 2011