Going on day five of a fever. What could cause this?

She's had a fever around 101 for about 5 days. Right now it's about 102. We went to the dr earlier and he told me it was allergies (she didn't have a fever when we got there). She just started getting a cough today, too, but other than that the only other symptom she has is being a little tired and clingy. What could cause this? Ugh! I'm just so worried and frustrated bc I thought the fever was going away and now it's worse and the dr told me to go home. She has another apt next Thursday with her regular dr for her 3 year checkup, so I'm going to have them check her blood count and stuff then. I'm so tired and worried. *sigh*

Kword

Asked by Kword at 10:42 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Kids' Health

• seems like the allergic flu progressed to infected form, she needs anti biotics
    doctormom2011

Answer by doctormom2011 at 12:37 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Well, I had never heard of doctor's diagnosing fevers as "allergies". As a nurse, this kind of surprises me. Honestly, I wonder if it has more to do with Dr.'s needing to have a know-it-all answer than it has to do with reality. It's possible she's fighting a virus but the doctor doesn't want to give antibiotics (it's good not to give antibiotics for everything), but it's easier for the doctor to say it's allergies than to tell you to wait it out. Fortunately, a 101 fever isn't too high. Hopefully it won't last until next thursday, but I think it will be definitely good to get a second opinion.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:12 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Well it could be a number of things. I agree I have never had a doctor give a diagnosis of just allergies when there is a fever involved. Now allergies could have led to a sinus infection which could cause a fever or she could just have a virus that causes fever and there is really nothing that can be done for that. I hope your lo feels better soon and maybe her reg pedi can give you more of an answer to what is going on.
    MybabyKisses

Answer by MybabyKisses at 12:19 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Yeah, I really looked at him weird when he said it was allergies bc I know allergies by themselves do not cause a fever. He did tell me that he didn't see any signs of infection (which is good) I just don't like the idea of how many days it is lasting. :( It scares me...even though its not very high.
    Kword

Comment by Kword (original poster) at 11:15 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• did her ears and throat get checked? my ds will sometimes run a fever like that when he has ear infections.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 10:56 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• My 5yo had the same thing last month. During the day he would be fine and just low grade fevers, but if he's not on medication he would have fever as high 103. For the past 6mos or so, he would be getting fevers that would last 3days, but the last one was 5days. It turned out he had pneumonia.
    filmom2ethan

Answer by filmom2ethan at 4:04 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Did he have a cough or anything? She has a little cough, but other than that, no runny nose or anything. hmmm
    Kword

Comment by Kword (original poster) at 8:17 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Look in her throat with a flashlight. If you see white spots (or if she has a rash), take her for a strep test.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:15 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• In my son's case he was tested for the flu at the E.R. and tested negative. Dr. said she could hear wheezing at his 6th day appointment so we were prescribed antibiotics and an inhaler
    filmom2ethan

Answer by filmom2ethan at 1:44 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• yes, he was coughing just a bit the first few days but then it became worse on the 5th day
    filmom2ethan

Answer by filmom2ethan at 1:50 PM on Apr. 2, 2011