Nerd?

what would you tell your son if he cried because he thinks hes a nerd at age 8?

kimsmith22

Asked by kimsmith22 at 10:44 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in General Parenting

• Why does he think he's a nerd? It's a shame the name calling starts at such an early age, but it also means you must prepare him for a life of 'nerd-dom'. I recommend showing him all the things those crazy non-nerds are missing, like enjoying math & science, or this great website ThinkGeek that has fun toys & gadgets for smart kids.
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 10:52 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• its okay to be a nerd!! just means hes very very smart :)
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 10:45 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• awwww. I would point out all his great qualities and try to give him some positive experiences to build his confidence. mean kids are such assholes. poor thing.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 10:46 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I love nerds---always have. I married one.
    The nicest guys in my high school were nerds. They are sweet and kind. The big jocks were self centered and dumb.
    Tell him everyone loves nerds and that they always turn out to be the most successful in their schools!!!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:00 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Tell him its a compliment, and when someone calls him a nerd, to tell them thank you for the compliment!
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:02 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• That's so sad! Did someone call him a nerd? You can tell him there's nothing wrong with being a nerd, but the real issue is he needs to understand that other kids can be mean but it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with him! Good luck, mama. If you can teach him to resist bullying now, he'll be well-prepared for life!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:05 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Tell him that nerds run the world!

The most important thing you can do is make him proud of who he is and all the things he's good at. You can't control the jerks in the world. All you can do is do what makes you happy.

I feel your pain. Don't you want to wring the necks of those little brats who call names like this? He'll get through it and so will you. Hang in there
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 11:12 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• First you need to know if some one is calling him that. Where else would he be hearing this and making him cry. I dont think its bad to be smart. Women like smart men. Just talk to him is the best thing to do.
    butterflies78

Answer by butterflies78 at 11:52 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Tell him nerds wind up being the most successful and sometimes the richest men in the world. Bill Gates was/is a nerd. I can't think of any other examples, but maybe others can come up with a few. Tell him there are plenty of girls out there who dig a smart dude! Also, there are plenty of girl nerds who are not only pretty, but can carry on an intelligent conversation. Help him feel empowered, rather than just standing there and taking the abuse. If it were me, I would arm him with some comebacks to anybody who would bully him about this. i.e. What, you want to date a nerd? You're not my type. You need me to use little words, or talk slower so you can understand?
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 8:40 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I'd tell him that nerds are the new "cool". It's awesome being a nerd. It means he's smart and probably has a good imagination.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:16 AM on Apr. 1, 2011