Help please if you can: Poop question

So a small amount of back story, my youngest daughter has issues gaining weight and is s SUPER picky eater.

Anyhow, she saw a dietician who asked me what she ate, if her bowel movements were regular, etc. At the time I hadn't noticed because she is potty trained and doesn't tell me when she has to go.

Since the appointment I have been trying to watch her, but still haven't noticed f she has a set cycle or not. One thing I HAVE noticed is that every time she goes #2 it is hard, dark (blackish) little balls (maybe about the circumference of a nickel) and they sink to the bottom in the toilet.

She doesn't eat a lot of junk and isn't a big fan of meat.

Could this occurrence with her bowel movements be something to worry about? What does that usually mean when it looks like that and sinks like that?

{**Wow @ the stuff you do as a parent. Never in my life would I have thought I would be waiting to see what my child's poop looked like when I was younger, ha ha. And then asking the Internet world to assist me with poopy.}

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 11:20 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• LOL, I know what you mean about the life a parent, ...haha. My daughters were both exactly how you describe yours, and they were perfectly healthy. I have not had any health issues with them, thank goodness! Here is a link I found that might help.....

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2964454/healthy_poop.html

BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 11:30 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• HAHAHAHAHA! @ your last comment. I would say she probably needs a bit more fiber or something in her diet. My child has chronic constipation. I have to make sure she gets plenty of fiber and stool softening foods (raisins, prunes, and all dried fruit pretty much are really good!) I also have her on a little more applejuice than normal (as recommended by her dr). I keep doing what you are doing and maybe add some more fiber? I'm not an expert, though. Good luck!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:24 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• It sounds like she maybe a little constipated.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 11:24 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• It sounds like she's simply not eating enough fibre. Too much bread/crackers/pasta/rice can do this to even adults (it's why bread and water is a torture, not a punishment for prisoners) ... make sure she's eating fruit at least at every meal, vegetables, too.

She may also not be getting enough fat. Increase her intake of things like avocado, or add peanut butter or even just more butter on the bread she does eat. Little kids need a lot more fat than adults, because their brains are still growing rapidly.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:24 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I looked this up and found a site that said dark stools that sink fast are usually a sign of not enough fiber or water intake. Of course this is just the net and a doctor would know for sure.

I know what you mean about poop and little kids. Before I had my first I read a book that said after I gave birth I would become somewhat obsessed with the contents of my babies diapers. I thought, yeah sure. But no, it's true. Gross but true and it doesn't end when they are babies it seems.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:24 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Infrequent, hard, round stool could be an indicator of constipation, fiber deficiency, lack of proper hydration, and too much iron. Chances are it's due to her diet. Eat like a rabbit, poop like a rabbit :P
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 11:24 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Sounds like she needs more fiber in her diet (whole grains, green veggies lots of fruit)
    My oldest dd is 4 and she is like this too. She has trouble going potty and says it hurts to go. We started giving her vitamins everyday and made her start eating more veggies/fiber rich foods and now she goes 2 times a day and it doesn't hurt her bottom to poop anymore.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 11:27 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• Her poop should be soft so she's constipated. More fruits, dark green leafy veggies, whole wheat breads, oatmeal...
    What will she eat?
    Avocado, peanuts, nut butters, healthy oils (coconut, olive) and any kinds of fruits and veggies will help her gain weight.
    Have you ever tried green smoothies (mixing green veggies with fruit)?
    Good luck!
    H.I.S.

Answer by H.I.S. at 11:33 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• @linda
    She doesn't eat much along the lines of pasta and breads. She prefers fresh fruits and veggies to anything else. The dietician actually laughed out loud when she heard that Jada eats as healthy as she does and it's HER decision, lol.
    She did tell me to increase her fat intake, but Jada hasn't wanted ANYTHING I have tried... and I ave tried a LOT. Every idea everyone has presented me.... she hates it all. She doesn't seem to like fatty foods.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 11:28 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• they have fiber gummies at walmart that i give my daughter 3 or 4 a day and it realy helps.they are just like gummie bears..
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:00 AM on Apr. 1, 2011