Wall paint color advice please

I have a small ranch style house built in 1971. I have a small living room with a low ceiling, no fireplace, no crown molding, and not enough natural light for my taste, I find it dark and dingy(the walls are a cream color, maybe a stock color..they just look dirty. We are getting rid of the dingy old dirty carpet for a light bamboo floor. We are also getting for the first time a nice sofa & loveseat(they will be faux brown leather because of DD's eczema). I am trying to figure out what to paint the walls to give it a bigger, lighter appearance. I originally thought a light taupe w/ white trim. Now I'm starting to wonder if we should go white since my fav places to find inspiration is Pottery Barn and now The Lettered Cottage. If I go white what do I paint the baseboard. Is white as the base of the wall only work when you have architectural interest? My house has none. And maybe if I actually go white should I paint my ceiling a pale color other than white? I really want a room that I can change the color focus throughout the year. In the spring bring in yellow, green(the green a natural moss like green)...spring colors. In the fall change those out for warm fall colors(keeping some yellow to help the yellow from the kitchen to fit in and flow). I like to bring the outdoors in, that's where I find my color palette. Thanks for reading and any advice on color you can give!

Lynette

Asked by Lynette at 11:45 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Home & Garden

• BTW I but I want the living rm to have more neutral colors for the walls so I can change out accessories whenever I am in the mood. My kitchen is a light yellow, bathroom is light green, bedroom is light blue.

Lynette

Comment by Lynette (original poster) at 11:49 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• We stayed at a resort that had a color scheme I really liked. One accent wall was a brick red (not fire engine, not 'wine', but a crisp brick red), the rest were a color I think of as 'hay' or 'straw', not really tan, not really gold. White trim really set it off nicely, you'd need to make sure it didn't clash with the tone of bamboo you pick. If the one red accent wall is too much for you, you could do all four in the "hay" color. Sherwin Williams has a good 'color picker' tool online, I think Parker Paint does as well although their software was harder to use on my PC...
    tigrefan98

Answer by tigrefan98 at 2:43 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I would go with the light taupe idea you had originally, or a cream/beige color. I know this may sound off the wall, but you should seriously consider painting the ceiling the same color as the walls. At our old house, we had a couple of small rooms and we painted the walls and ceiling the same color--it was absolutely amazing how that continuity made the room appear so much bigger!
    To me, white is too stark and won't do much in the way of either not looking dirty eventually or opening it up. If you do the beige or taupe, it goes with almost anything and you can change your accessories seasonally. Put your pops of color for the season into pieces of artwork on the walls, vases, throw pillows, rugs, curtains, etc. The room will be totally flexible!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:04 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• a coffee color, in lighter or darker shades, are nice and can match anything.
    spastic_poodle

Answer by spastic_poodle at 9:58 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I'd go white since it is a small space with limited lighting. You could use accent colors with pillows, etc.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:18 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I am not in favor of white--been there done that--I think earth colors --some shade of dirt or grass, well flowers and leaves look good with both, lol actually sage or that cream beige idea. 8 ft ceilings can handle crown molding--have you considered trying it? It gives the illusion of height. My living room(with 8 ft ceiling) is light copper with white woodwork and crown molding, ceiling is white also. My home is done in southwestern colors, predominately pumpkin with some turquoise.
    lukee

Answer by lukee at 9:08 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Paint the ceiling in a Satan white and the trim work the same color. Use a winter white in Satan on your side walls.

Glo402813

Answer by Glo402813 at 4:02 AM on Apr. 4, 2011