What do you think is too long without a ring?

in 4 year commited relationship not married.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in Relationships

• I'm coming up on 16 years of marriage with no ring. But we are married, so is it the ring or the commitment you're asking about?
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:58 PM on Mar. 31, 2011

• I never wanted a ring or a wedding. I told him to buy me my own house and every thing would be good.. I cant see spending money on a ring and wedding when i dont need it and do need a house. So maybe you should think if hes really the one after so long and if he feels the same talk to him.
    butterflies78

Answer by butterflies78 at 12:00 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I'm not sure I totally understand the question...
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 12:06 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I dont fully understand !
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 12:24 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Butterflies, I feel the same about all that stuff. Flowers, candy and other small gifts. Let's spend if on something more important. A rings a symbel and nothing to.do with how you really feel about each other.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 12:26 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I still don't fully understand what you are trying to ask...

Do you want him to propose? Do you think he should be proposing and he's not? I've known some couples to be dating for several years, then finally they get married.

A ring is just a symbol of your everlasting love one to another.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 1:26 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I have been with my significant other for the past 17 years, no ring, no wedding, we have raised 6 kids, my 3 from my previous marriage, and his 3 from his previous marriage. We love one another, we respect our commitment to each other and our kids.
    Do I need a ring and a wedding...? NO! I had all that before and I made kids with that men, but he was not into the commitment and responsible parent idea.
    Now, for the past 17 years, I have been respected, loved and cared for.
    Good Luck with your decision.
    KukyLopez

Answer by KukyLopez at 3:07 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I don't there there is a set limit on how long is too long. It depends on you and your relationship. My SO and I have been together for almost two years. We are not planning to get engaged or married any time soon (at least, not as far as I know! lol), but we are totally committed to each other. He helps me raise my children and refers to them as his. Their teachers at school think he is their dad. We don't correct them. We love each other, we share our lives with each other, and putting a ring on my finger isn't going to make that any more meaningful than it already is. I was married to my ex, and he made very clear that the ring on my finger, and his, meant nothing to him and that he was going to continue to act as if he were single and childless. Marriage is not necessarily the true sign of commitment; how he acts, treats you, lives his life is what shows his commitment.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:58 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I think that is to long to wait on a ring....I would ask him about the future..
    shelle21

Answer by shelle21 at 9:16 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Marriage happens when the time is right.

Is the time right for you?

Sometimes it takes a few years for both parties to get their lives in order. To finish school, for example. Or to overcome some other hurdle in life.

The important thing is that both partners know what they want and where they're headed. And that they are striving to achieve whatever it is that needs to be completely before marriage can enter the picture.

If you both want marriage and are striving for it, actively, then what's the issue? You know where you're headed and where you stand with each other. Four years is not forever.

However, if you have never discussed marriage, are not in school or something similar, are just floating in life without any pursuit of greater commitment, THEN you have an issue.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 8:32 PM on Apr. 1, 2011