New baby, help!

I have a semi new baby and I just can't seem to get the hang of things, my life feels like it's taken rollercoaster ride and nothing feels right to me. I get pretty anxious about things and can't seem to get settled into my new role as a mother. I kind of dread the day at times because I get anxious, and sadly at times I feel a little overwhelmed, thinking to myself that I can't do this. Will I ever get over my intense feelings? Is this a normal hump to overcome ad a new mother, or is there something wrong with me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 PM on Mar. 31, 2011 in General Parenting

• kinda sounds like a little post partum depression (sp) .. maybe talk to your doctor about it and see what he/she suggests. i felt like that after each of my kids were born .. more my 3rd baby. you will overcome it, promise!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 12:00 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• It's normal to feel a bit on edge or nervous as a newer parent, just talk to a loved one, friend, or doctor about your feelings. Be wary of postpartum depression, because it can last for weeks or months after having a baby. Good luck!
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 12:00 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I had postpartum depression and it last till my daughter was 3 months old. I talked to my doctor and he gave me an anti-depressant...i never ended up takin it tho...i felt i would get better myself. And i eventually did.
    i used to cry myself to sleep..literally every night...it was hard. I was overwhelmed and ALWAYS anxious...nothing could be perfect the way i wanted. I even went as a far as telling my husband he was shaking the bottle wrong when making the bottles. lol it was silly but i was very anxious to be sure everything was perfect. Talk with your doctor and someone you trust like your husband. Be open about how you feel...it will pass. =]]
    Mommy103110

Answer by Mommy103110 at 12:09 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Just sounds like normal new mother emotions to me. Do you have a support system? Draft family and friends to come help you for a bit. Even if its just grandma making some frozen dinners you can pull out and re-heat. It will help a lot!
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 12:29 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• When my son was born, my boyfriend worked nights, and slept days. We'd just moved into a new apartment, (after living with his parents for 4 months) and I had moved to that town for college a couple years before and hadn't really made any friends in the area. I was sooo alone. I called my mom, my sister, my nana, friends from home, etc, as often as I felt like I needed to vent, or had questions to ask to alleviate concerns, and the stress and depression eventually faded. My son was born in september, so I was pretty much stuck inside for the winter right after he was born, and I had to have an emergency c-section at 8 months. I felt like I'd lost so much when I didn't get to deliver naturally, which was very important to me.

Spend as much time as you can with your little one, enjoy the newness of it, in just a few short years you will long for these moments again. Try to focus on the fun stuff, like tummy time together. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 3:21 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• First babies...nothing like the love affair, but if only you could enjoy them like you do the ones that come next...you are much more relaxed. Breathe, trust your instinct, ask for help or questions. Babies don't come with an owners manual, none of us knew 100% what we were doing the first time around...that is why I call my oldest my "trial child" If I was going to make mistakes, it was with him. You will be fine.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:36 PM on Apr. 1, 2011