Stretch mark prevention & stories

Any stretch mark prevention suggestions or stories you'd like to share? I'm in my 16th week w my first & super nervous about scarring.

shynu

Asked by shynu at 1:01 AM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I didn't get an stretch marks til my 9th month.
    I used Palmer's Cocoa Butter religiously.
    I still have a few but they are nearly gone.
    I am curious if anyone has stories about Bio Oil, as Ive heard it works miracles.
    kazmia

Answer by kazmia at 1:07 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• It's my understanding that stretch marks are genetic, if you mom got them it's likely you will too.

I used coconut oil during my pregnancies and never got a stretch mark but my mom doesn't have any either. If nothing else it's a great hydrator and helped me avoid the itchy tummy that is so common with pregnancy.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 1:13 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I don't believe the genetic thing at all. My great grand mom has none, my grandma has none, my mom does. I have 3 sisters who've all had kids and only one sister got stretch marks. Sooo no pattern here & I would really like to hope they're preventable seeing it's a fear of mine. But thank you on the coconut oil tip. I actually take 2 tablespoons a day Lol, now I can rub it on my belly.
    shynu

Comment by shynu (original poster) at 1:30 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• You get your genes from two different people. maybe your mother's father's mother had stretch marks or so on.

I got my first stretch mark when I was 6 weeks pregnant with my first baby. I hadn't gained ANY weight, it just showed up. I have them all the way to my waist and you know what? I love them. I love every one of those marks that reminds me of the special time I shared a body with my babies. They are precious to me. Why do women feel like they have to look like they're virginal and 17 their whole lives? There is power and beauty in stretch marks. Love your body no matter what it does.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:36 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Lol yeah. You must have naturally high serotonin levels.
    shynu

Comment by shynu (original poster) at 1:41 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Every woman is different. There are creams out there that help reduce the site of stretch marks but nothing that makes them go away. Surgery is the only way to get rid of them totally! Good Luck.
    prissysayshi

Answer by prissysayshi at 2:54 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I tried so hard with my first pregnancy to avoid stretch marks. I applied all kinds of oils and vitamin creams, and managed to avoid them until I was about 7 months along, when I ballooned out due to water retention. A month later I had to have a c-section due to preeclampsia, which caused the severe swelling. This time around, since I'd already stretched so much the first time, I didn't start stretching again until 34 weeks or so..and a week later, I've got a few angry red streaks, but not too many. Unfortunately mine did not fade after the first pregnancy, but I didn't keep up with any sort of creams or rubs afterwards...too little time to focus on myself when I was doting on my sweet son :D
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 3:05 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• hun, believe it or not it IS genetic.. just because your mom had some but her mom didn't you need to look to her fathers side of the family as well.. i bet his mom or his fathers mom had them.
    it's basic science. my mom never had any, but i take more after my fathers side of the family and have them.
    BUT the only real way to prevent them is to have good elastin and collagen in you system (genetics make up a lot of how much you have, but you can help it as well by maintaining a good diet and drinking lots of water and massage. light massage because you dont want to harm the baby.
    also know there are ways to help reduce them after pregnancy like microdermabrasions, some surgeries, etc.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:20 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I am 27 weeks pregnant. I have stretch marks on my thighs kinda bad, but none on my belly yet and my belly is actually the main place that I really really dont want to get them because i have plans for a tattoo after I have my baby boy. I use Plamer's Coacoa Butter Lotion for pregnancy after I get out of the shower every time, and I use the Palmer's Tummy Butter stuff on my belly every night in bed on my belly as well. My friend has extra bio oil and she said it worked wonders for her and she just had her second kid, so Im hoping it works for me too.
    lizjones

Answer by lizjones at 12:26 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I honestly dont think it is genetic either, It has to do with your skin, not wether your parents family did or didnt get them. Thats like saying that if you have bigger parents, then you will have a bigger build no matter what, or if you have midget parents, then you will be born a midget which doesnt always happen. I dont think it is genetic, that is just rediculous.
    lizjones

Answer by lizjones at 12:34 PM on Apr. 1, 2011