How can you tell if

Your childs ready for potty training? At what age is too young to try?

mercy928

Asked by mercy928 at 1:50 AM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i started with my first at 18 months.. but it was a bust because we moved.. but with all 3 of my kids they were potty trained the month they turned 2.
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 1:54 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I found that by waiting and doing nothing, they demonstrated their readiness by starting to use the potty themselves, and asking to wear panties instead of diapers.

It is too young to try when they can't feel the sensation of fullness with enough time to communicate clearly to whoever needs to help them to get to the potty on time, before they can stop their bladder from compressing reflexively when it's full, and (for overnights) before their kidneys are concentrating urine while they sleep.

Since all of those, including the 'able to communicate' are internal, you'll know your child is ready to do it when you can see it.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:54 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• All the books say if they wake up dry. But that never happened. Im potty training my 2 1/2 yr old now. ANd its hard.
    Crissy9832

Answer by Crissy9832 at 9:25 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• if they appear ready try but dont expect miracles
    opinionatedmom

Answer by opinionatedmom at 12:42 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Ds is almost 2 and is almost totally potty trained (except at night time).
    He started showing interest in the big potty, wanted to watch everyone go to the bathroom, could take off his pants by himself, and could say "go pee-pee", "go potty", "go poo-poo" and other potty related terms.
    H.I.S.

Answer by H.I.S. at 4:25 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• all children are different and they will start showing signs as to when they are ready
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 12:26 PM on Apr. 4, 2011