Can't breath well, what can I do?

Ok, so I'm 35 weeks pregnant, and recently caught a cold my son has. I grew up with asthma symptoms (but was never technically diagnosed with it, apparently..) where when I get sick, or exercise a lot when I don't normally, it tends to act up and make breathing really difficult.

Symptoms of the cold are a nasty rattly cough, low grade fever (I'm usually around 96.9, am hovering around 99 right now) hot and cold flashes, and a runny nose.

With the "asthma" and the cough, and being pregnant, I can't sleep because I can't breath. I've coughed up a lot of phlegm (sorry, I know that's gross) too. I've tried sleeping in more of an upright position, but I can't sleep like that...I'm a side sleeper. The only relief I've had has been sitting up, or standing. And that's only been minimal relief.

Anyway, my question is...what can I do to help relieve the tightness in my chest and make it easier to breath so I can sleep?

We currently don't have any hot water, or a stove to cook on due to electrical issues that won't be corrected until Monday, so I can't do a steam treatment. That would've been my first choice since it's med free, and it usually works fairly well.

I've taken children's tylenol (lowest dose) to help with the fever and the headache I keep getting from the coughing fits. But I'm afraid to take any over the counter cough medicines.

Please help, ladies. Thank you in advance!

BisketLiss

Asked by BisketLiss at 2:45 AM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Pregnancy

• saline spray for you nose might help.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 2:49 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Good Luck... copy and paste link this is the same list my doctor gave to me in the beginning of my pregnancy!

http://www.babycenter.com/0_chart-over-the-counter-medications-during-pregnancy_1486462.bc

prissysayshi

Answer by prissysayshi at 2:51 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Mucinex will help with the congestion just drink lots of water with it, Saline rinse for your nose and breath right strips, they helped me with the snoring during pregnancy oh and ear plug for your SO.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 9:40 AM on Apr. 1, 2011