How do i get my 14 month old to stop hitting me?

i dont think he does it to be mean and i hae tried sevral things he also throws his toys at me when we play

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:28 AM on Apr. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• my 2 year does that only he throws things at everyone when he is mad. i spank his butt which stops him from hitting me
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 3:29 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• He wants to se what reaction is gonna get, he is basically testing boundries. When he does try and throw or hit u, grab the hand/toy and tell him sternly "NO!" and leave iut at that. U will probably have to do this several times before he understands complelely.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:31 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• when i spank hhim he looks at me like i am stupid lol ....he dont do it when he is mad it is random.....he can be luaghing one min then the next bam he hit me!!! i dont want him to be a mean kid and i have told him that that hurts mooys feelings when he does that and that dont work..... i have tried to leae the room to and then he just cries for hours or until i go back in
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:34 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Spanking will not help and plus it will take longer. When u spank him, hes still getting a reaction, although negative, he still getting something. Just firmly say no and thats it. He will get bored quick, and he will most likely stop./
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:35 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• i thought that if i hiitt him back or spank him that is just showing him it is ok to act thay way
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:38 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Ya for the most part. i won't spank my dd out of anger or frustration, its too easy to lose control while doing it and not realizing it until its to late. I hope the only spanking i give her will be for running out in the street or some thing like that. I think that if the onlty time u spank them is because of the running in the street whatever, will probably have a longer lasting effect. But to bad that isn't easy to do so!
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:45 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Firmly and gently tell him no hitting. All I have to do with the child I sit for is say "OK, all done then" with whatever we are doing or he is playing with to make him understand he can not continue with what he is doing.............hitting or whatever. just an idea.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:03 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I do spank my kids, although only once in a blue moon. For example my 6 yo seemed like he was possesed in Walmart the other day, a simple "stop or no" had no affect. But when they are as young as yours I do think spanking teaches then its okay to hit, until they understand there are certain things mom and dad can do that he can't. The only thing I have to offer is stay consistent, gl
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 7:49 AM on Apr. 1, 2011