any suggestions?

my 3yr old refuses to eat at meal time. he only wants junk!!! this problem started when i started school and my mother in law watched him in the afternoons. even though i made dinner, she bought him cheeseburgers, candy, soda...all kinds of crap!!! i only allow sweets in moderation. i only went to school for one semester before the new baby was born, but it seems like that little bit of time was enough for her to seriously mess up my son's eating habits. i am at out of ideas. i made spaghetti for dinner tonight and he would not touch it. i let him out of his high chair and told him he will not be eating until breakfast. is that too harsh? if so, please let me know. also, please give me any ideas that might work to get him to eat.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sounds good to me! I have done that if they come and say that they are hungry I warm supper back up for them. You did the right thing momma!
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 9:32 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• only offer quality foods. trust me, if he is hungry he will eat it. try offering pediasure to get the extra nutrition until he starts eating well again. also, hide healthy foods. puree squash and add it to spaghetti sauce. use applesauce instead of oil when baking, etc.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 9:36 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• You did the right thing. When he is hungry enough he will eat it. My kids have always been good eaters but recently we have started having trouble with them wasting food. Dinner would go in the trash and snacks were a regular meal. My SO and I have cut down on snacks for them and dinner is served and they either eat it or go hungry. Once in a great while they won't eat it and we put it in the fridge and then THAT is what their breakfast is. If they don't eat it for breakfast, then it is offered at the next meal - they eventually eat it. Kids have to learn to eat what is put before them. I don't make them eat it if they don't like it. In that case, they have to try one bite (which I pick - a decent sized bite) and if they truly don't like it, then they can make a pb&j. The food isn't wasted then as it can be served to someone else b/c the silverware isn't put back into the plate if they didn't like it.

Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 9:45 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I tell my daughter the same thing... "Breakfast is a long ways away", but if she gives me the I am soo hungry cry, we go for another try with dinner... Food should never be kept from a child but they do need to learn to eat what is in front of them when it is offered. But they are just kids.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 9:12 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• i think u did the right thing. they have to learn to eat at mealtime. eat what is served or dont eat. the choice is theirs they will quickly learn to eat what is there. they will no go hungry.
    sae931

Answer by sae931 at 10:04 PM on Nov. 29, 2008