I don't know if I misunderstood my OB

I am almost 32 weeks pregnant and I went to my regular prenatal appointment this past Monday. I got an ultrasound and everything is fine. I was supposed to get my c-section scheduled but the doctor's schedules haven't been made out for the end of May yet. He said they wanted to wait until 38 or 39 weeks to do the c-section and they wanted to make sure the baby's lungs were fully developed. I asked if they were going to do another ultrasound to see if they were developed and he told me no. Do you all think he was talking about waiting until 38 or 39 weeks to make sure the lungs or developed? Or are they going to have to do some kind of procedure to see? I think I misunderstood but I'm not sure.

tiffanynichols

Asked by tiffanynichols at 6:28 AM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I am not sure maybe just call and ask tomorrow :)
    Mrs.Graff

Answer by Mrs.Graff at 6:31 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• They won't check the lungs... Basically the doc is saying that they are waiting to make sure they are fully developed, which they consider them to be "at term", which is usually 38-42 weeks. Hope this helps!
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 6:35 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Lungs don't get checked. It's known that they aren't fully developed until the last month or so. If there's a risk of premature birth, there's a steroid shot given that hurries that process but in your case, they seem to think that won't happen which is a good thing. :) Remember though, if you have any questions at all, your OB's office is there to help you. :)

Best of luck!
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 6:43 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I urge you to do a wee bit more research regarding how soon they take the baby. ALL of the findings state that the last couple of weeks are absolutely VITAL, and a planned c-section should not be done until 40 weeks, doing it earlier than that increases the risks to your child exponentially. In the last couple of weeks your body triggers theirs to produce necessary hormones (and various other chemicals) to prepare them for life outside of the womb.
    I'm intentionally being vague here, I'll leave it to you to look... But, what is ONE more week if it means the difference between something that can affect them their whole life, or not?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:57 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• They schedule planned c-sections for a week or sometimes two before the due date to keep you from going into labor because there is more of a risk if you go into labor.
    tiffanynichols

Comment by tiffanynichols (original poster) at 7:03 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• i thought for some reason they had to do an amnio to make sure the lungs were developed but im not sure
    mommie_of02

Answer by mommie_of02 at 7:40 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• The amnio is what I was afraid of & mainly why I was asking. But I think they mainly just do that if there is some complication. Idk.
    tiffanynichols

Comment by tiffanynichols (original poster) at 7:44 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• The u/s can't detect developed lungs so there isn't a reason to do one. Not sure why you're having a c/s but a vbac is very safe in most circumstances (safer than a repeat c/s). The recommendation is to not do elective c/s until at least the 39th week because too many babies are being born "late pre-term" and are having complications.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 8:02 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• There is no more risk if you go into labor. It is actually better for you and the baby if he/she get some of the labor hormones. But doctors hate getting up to do a 3 a.m. c-section that they could have done during the day if they had just gotten schduled it before labor started. Truth is in 80% of cases you should be VBACing anyway.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:42 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I doubt he will check the lungs either. He will probably just schedule your c-section for around 39 weeks. That is when they scheduled my sister's.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 2:32 PM on Apr. 1, 2011