Joint party for boy and girls, ages 8, 4, 3, and 1?

My DH is military and we are stationed in Japan. My mom is coming this summer, and is wanting to throw a joint birthday party for all of our kids since she has, or will, miss them--SD is 8.5 (September), DS will be 4 (June), ODD will be just shy of 3 (July), and YDD just turned 1 (March). She told me to plan it and that she will pay for it... But I have NO IDEA where to start with this, because ALL of the kids have such different tastes, that I don't know how to make something they'd all like. I was thinking zoo theme or aquarium theme, but not all of the kids like that *sigh* I am hoping that someone has had to do this before and can give me some ideas? I don't know how to figure something out that ALL of the kids will like, especially with the huge age gap between SD and the littler ones. Any ideas?

laird6372

Asked by laird6372 at 6:55 AM on Apr. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• if its just going to be your family and your parents can you go some place fun, like the zoo, theme park, water park, party place that all the kids enjoy? if not what about just doing everyones favorite color in the party supplies.......one picks the plate color , one picks the table cloth cover, ect.....and doing small cakes with each childs theme of choice.......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:17 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Well, there is always the option of just going generic. Balloons, streamers and bold colors. Perhaps let each child pick out a pack of themed cake plates and then mix them up in a stack so they feel they each got a say. Then as far as cake goes get each child their own themed small 6"-8" cake(like a smash cake) and do generic cupcake for the guest. Everybody wins. Goodie bags could either be generic or a little bit of all the themes. Plan B would be to do the older child there own birthday on Sat and the smaller ones on Sun since it may be easier to get them to agree. their is a pretty big tastes and friend gap between 8 and 4.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:28 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Ok then just pick something. I would do the Aquarium myself, no one is ever too old for that.

Answer by gemgem at 7:28 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I would give them all their own party, and just have a family party with a couple friends your mom could participate in. I have done joint parties, but never for more then 2 kids. That was difficult on its own.

Answer by gemgem at 7:13 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• They are getting their own parties with us...But my mom hasn't seen them in a year (SD in 2.5 years), so she wants to throw them a joint party.
    laird6372

Comment by laird6372 (original poster) at 7:26 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• No friends would be there, just us, the kids, and my parents. I was thinking of doing a small cake for each of the kids so they could all have their own "special" part of the party, so I think it's a great suggestion.
    laird6372

Comment by laird6372 (original poster) at 7:31 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Can you rent a bouncy house? They would all love that.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:46 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Yes, we can. The base community services has them for rent. :)
    laird6372

Comment by laird6372 (original poster) at 8:56 AM on Apr. 1, 2011